Help an idiot out...

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
OK, would a GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD improve my wireless connection? or is it simply for if a cable is connected between my laptop and the cable?

I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff, so I apologise for my ignorance! Ha!

Ash

Wireless N is definitely better than regular Wireless. Depends if your current wireless card already has Wireless N.

juraj

Make sure that the wireless network you're joining can support the speeds - be it at home or elsewhere. There's no point having a card like that if the wireless router/AP isn't going to offer the bandwidth you can take.

Saying that, I consider the upgrade cost to be marginal so might as well get it (just don't automatically expect better speed/connection)

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
Wireless N is definitely better than regular Wireless. Depends if your current wireless card already has Wireless N.

It would be for the new laptop I'm looking at on here, I just wondered what it actually offered in terms of Mbps?

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
Make sure that the wireless network you're joining can support the speeds - be it at home or elsewhere. There's no point having a card like that if the wireless router/AP isn't going to offer the bandwidth you can take.

Saying that, I consider the upgrade cost to be marginal so might as well get it (just don't automatically expect better speed/connection)

It's a BT Modem I have, so it should be capable of producing the goods...

That's what I though, after tom told me about it. Just wanted to make sure it was definitely a wireless card as opposed to just the speeds I could get via a cable...

grrrrrowl

As far as I'm aware (and correct me if I'm wrong), when you are looking at these speeds you are basically talking about wireless transfers from another computer to your laptop. If you are suddenly expecting you internet connection to go from what it actually is to 300Mbs then that's not gonna happen (esp. since even virgin media's highest package is 100Mbs)

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
As far as I'm aware (and correct me if I'm wrong), when you are looking at these speeds you are basically talking about wireless transfers from another computer to your laptop. If you are suddenly expecting you internet connection to go from what it actually is to 300Mbs then that's not gonna happen (esp. since even virgin media's highest package is 100Mbs)

Jesus, I just realised it's 300Mbps! I was thinking Kbps haha!

How's it even possible to gain 300Mbps?! My download speed is around 500Kbps haha! :(

grrrrrowl

tbh I think it's pointless to get the upgraded card unless you do a hell of a lot of file transfers between computers.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
That's one thing you might want to change. In my experience, BTs internet is awful.

I've got BT and never had a problem with it, it is slow, however, internet speed is dependant on your line quality and how far you are located from your exchange. I can't say anything about their customer service though, :)

Ash

I've got BT and never had a problem with it, it is slow, however, internet speed is dependant on your line quality and how far you are located from your exchange. I can't say anything about their customer service though, :)

Definitely slow. We used to be with BT and we'd get 3MB at best. On Virgin now and we get anything from 30MB up.

Ash

Pretty much. I also didn't like their Home Hub. We kept on getting disconnected from and it and had to restart it all the time. And the one we had only had 2 ethernet ports.

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
Aye Tom, it's BT. They're not great, but they're not too bad. I'm not in the best area for net, so pretty happy with what I can get.

Will save a bit of money there then, so the laptop price is away down to £720, as I also found out that I have my own operating system disk! :)

Instead of clogging up the rest of the forum, I'll ask here just to make sure:

If I select the 'no operating system' option, I would just turn the laptop on and pop the disk in wouldn't I?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I also found out that I have my own operating system disk! :)

Instead of clogging up the rest of the forum, I'll ask here just to make sure:

If I select the 'no operating system' option, I would just turn the laptop on and pop the disk in wouldn't I?
Basically yes,pressing f8 with the os disc inserted will bring you to the option to boot from the OS disc.Instructions on how to do a clean install are given in the welcome booklet.
Edit: assuming it's a retail version of windows and not OEM.

Last edited:

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
Basically yes,pressing f8 with the os disc inserted will bring you to the option to boot from the OS disc.Instructions on how to do a clean install are given in the welcome booklet.

That expert tag's there for a reason, cheers lad much appreciated!

Shall get ordering the laptop just now then, and will hopefully be able to post some pictures when it arrives. Looking good to me though, very impressed by this site, and the forum is an added bonus. Whoever created this site is a true genius.

Snewlands

Bronze Level Poster
That's one thing you might want to change. In my experience, BTs internet is awful.

I used to have AOL, so BT seems like dreamland in comparison! Haha!

BT's around the best in my area as well, as unfortunately there's no way of getting fibre optic broadband in my area.