Help - Windows 7 keeps rebooting

garryp81

Hi folks,

Finally got my PC today but I can't get it up and running.

Windows won't load and it keeps getting stuck on configuring the set up. I've tried to do a clean install - but I don't have the choice of booting from my DVD?

Anyone got any ideas- I'm unlikely to be able to phone for support from home til Saturday and I'd like the computer up and running before then if possible.

Cheers

Garry

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Press press F8 when prompted when first turning your computer so you can choose what device to boot from - then select your DVD drive. Let us know how you get on.

Sleinous

Author Level
This is a common problem with sysprep tool provided by microsoft, occasionally it corrupts the install after re-preparing the setup for first use (bit where u enter pc name etc)

To reinstall:

Insert dvd, start pc, tap f8 repeatedly till asked to chose boot device, chose dvd drive, then when it says, 'press any key to continue..............' press a key. Chose custom instsll, overwrite previous install.

Once ur done and in windows, go to disk cleanup, then in the new dialog box that appears - select system files button (bottom left). Then tick. 'previous windows installations' also, windows instsll logs and other large dumps and logs.

Job done.

garryp81

I don't seem to haver the option of booting from the DVD drive - I only have the choice of the hard drive or another one - Reak teck?? Am at wotk just now so can't physically check.

Any ideas?

Sleinous

Author Level
Realtek, I guess booting off a network.

OK, in that case, press del repeatedly until you find yourself in the BIOS window.

Scroll accross to boot priorities tab in the middle, and select the DVD drive, move it up to boot slot 1 so it boots before teh HDD.

garryp81

I tried to do that last night - didn't want to mess around too much though! It didn't seem to make any difference. Should I disable the HDD so the DVD drive is the only active drive.

If that doesn't work any other ideas?

I'll try when I get home and will probably be back on here with more questions :p

Sleinous

Author Level
If that doesnt work, could be the DVD drive is faulty :/ unlikely but I dont see what else it could be! I'd suggest giving tech support a call on 0844 499 4000 later on if you have the time, there is probably something obvious we have missed out!

JSG10

Expert
I had a problem with boot priorites when I plugged in my external HDD and had to switch it all around in the bios. You might find you need to unplug your router from your PC first to bring up the correct options in the BIOS. Just a bit of trial and error really, the options are there but it only shows a certain amount for some reason.
I think you may need to switch you HDD order round as well which can be found in another menu in the BIOS which is what I had to do then you can select the correct HDD for boot and hopefully the DVD drive too. Confusing I know. :S Good luck.

Sleinous

Author Level
Oh bugger ye!! Forgot about that! Did u order two HDDs?? If so ill
post a mini-tutorial tonight or tomoz morning to show u what to swap round in bios.

Dave H

How do I avoid losing programs when reinstalling W7?

Custom installation warns me that it will delete existing programs and that I should back up my files first. How can I do this without a working O/S? I have pre-installed Office 2010, for which no installation disk was supplied. How can I reinstate this after reinstalling Windows 7?