Help! Witcher 3 crashed my new PC.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
@purplewakanda - stumbled on this - I have no idea if it would be useful for you or not - but worth a try.....

Corsair RGB Ram

Also - I am suddenly confused about what the issue is here - I assumed your RGB RAM was not lighting up - but your specs above in the first post indicate non-RGB RAM? Could you clarify exactly what the issue is?

D

Deleted member 17413

@purplewakanda - stumbled on this - I have no idea if it would be useful for you or not - but worth a try.....

Corsair RGB Ram

Also - I am suddenly confused about what the issue is here - I assumed your RGB RAM was not lighting up - but your specs above in the first post indicate non-RGB RAM? Could you clarify exactly what the issue is?
....You know... I didnt even clock that...

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
That's true but apparently it was lighted up before. I'm a bit confused now. Could it have been the light from the motherboard which isn't right now?
I'm not that familar with your motherboard, but I don't know which light from have been lit previously that isn't lit now?

Could you post a photo of your board and RAM and we will hopefully know for sure once we see it.....

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I'm not that familar with your motherboard, but I don't know which light from have been lit previously that isn't lit now?

Could you post a photo of your board and RAM and we will hopefully know for sure once we see it.....
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-02 at 9.52.05 AM.jpeg

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
So you definitely don't have RGB RAM - so that worry is resolved at least.

I have no idea what you might have thought was lit up in that area - apart from the Cooler, the only RGB on the motherboard I think is down by the chipset but blocked from view by the GPU. So problem one is solved anyway - your RAM RGB isn't working because you don't have any.

Problem two is still to be solved though - why your system crashed in the first place......running Memtest86 would be a good idea - it'll take a few hours so you could leave it run overnight and post the results in the morning here.....

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
So you definitely don't have RGB RAM - so that worry is resolved at least.

I have no idea what you might have thought was lit up in that area - the only RGB on the motherboard I think is down by the chipset but blocked from view by the GPU. So problem one is solved anyway - your RAM RGB isn't working because you don't have any.

Problem two is still to be solved though - why your system crashed in the first place......running Memtest86 would be a good idea - it'll take a few hours so you could leave it run overnight and post the results in the morning here.....
I ran the memory test (windows default one) again and it came out without any errors. It was Witcher 3 that caused the crash and looking online I wasn't alone. But those posts were years ago when they didn't have a decent GPU to support it. I'm not sure if anyone here plays WItcher 3. Witcher and Witcher 2 seem to be alright. Is Memtest86 better?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I ran the memory test again and it came out without any errors. It was Witcher 3 that caused the crash and looking online I wasn't alone. But those posts were years ago when they didn't have a decent GPU to support it. I'm not sure if anyone here plays WItcher 3. Witcher and Witcher 2 seem to be alright.
Did you run memtest86 or the windows memory test? You need to run memtest86, it's very different to the windows test.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Now you know it's unlikely (though still not impossible) to be a RAM issue it's worth checking that there isn't an issue in Windows....

Open an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell session (either will do) and enter the following commands one after the other and in this order. Allow the first command to complete before running the second....

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

sfc /scannow

Post a screenshot of the output after both have run to completion.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Now you know it's unlikely (though still not impossible) to be a RAM issue it's worth checking that there isn't an issue in Windows....

Open an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell session (either will do) and enter the following commands one after the other and in this order. Allow the first command to complete before running the second....

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

sfc /scannow

Post a screenshot of the output after both have run to completion.
Capture1.PNG

1620043866802.png

i would disable gog overlay causes nothing but issues with games on the gog platform im unaware if amd has anything like GeForce experience in terms of recording your gameplay in the background ( the overlay) if so i would disable that aswell and try running the game

[edit did abit of research the amd equivalent of nivdia shadowplay is called raptr ]

Last edited: