Help with shutting down/ restarting Brand new vortex IV

Mpatel89

Hi guys my new vortex IV arrived this week, it came with windows 7 home premium installed.

I just got round to opening it today, so far I have installed all the windows updates, skype, google chrome and razer synapse. When I try to shut down I get a message coming up which says :

1 program still needs to close:

(waiting for) task host window

Task host is executing shut down tasks, and stopping task that are already running.

I have to click force shutdown (clicking cancel does nothing)

then it goes into the logging off screen fan goes loud and nothing seems to happen it just freezes there I have to hold down the power button to switch it off.

I have googled the problem some sites mention a hotfix (Windows6.1-KB975777-x64) from microsoft which when I download and try to run it says the update is not applicable to this computer

Please can anyone give any advice?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try to identify the program causing the issue by disabling "Startup" items in "System configuration"
to open, type msconfig in the Start Search box and then press enter.
On the startup tab disable items by unticking the box.

Mpatel89

thanks for the advice you're a hero

it works if i disable all start up services excluding the microsoft ones but it comes up with a message about the driver installation on start up so have to filter through about 30 of them to figure which one it is exactly.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Before you shutdown manually close all running applications, many of these can be closed via icons on the system tray, for others you'll need to close them via the task manager. If, after you have closed down everything non-essential it shuts down normally then you know that it was one of those applications failing to close that's the problem. It's then a process of elimination to find it.

For this to be successful you really must close everything that is not absolutely needed before doing a shutdown, so close things like your Internet connection, your anti-virus and firewall, all Internet applications (like Skype etc.), the iTunes helper, Hotkey, everything that you know is not essential to the operating system.

BTW. Have you tried waiting for the tasks to be closed at shutdown? Sometimes it can take a while, it's not always instant. :)

Mpatel89

Hi it appears to have been one of the Nvidia drivers causing the task host errors, when I disable all the nvidia services in msconfig it stopped the shutdown problem. I uninstalled nvidia geforce experience as that wouldn't open after i disabled all the nvidia start up option and it seems to have fixed the problem.

It now shuts down in under 10 seconds and starts up in about 15 seconds. With the task host problem it was taking about 3 minutes to shut down.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi it appears to have been one of the Nvidia drivers causing the task host errors, when I disable all the nvidia services in msconfig it stopped the shutdown problem. I uninstalled nvidia geforce experience as that wouldn't open after i disabled all the nvidia start up option and it seems to have fixed the problem.

It now shuts down in under 10 seconds and starts up in about 15 seconds. With the task host problem it was taking about 3 minutes to shut down.

It might be worth reinstalling the NVIDIA driver, you'll need that to use the NVDIA card in any case, and see whether it shuts down ok with just the driver. If it does then you can try installing the other NVIDIA services one at a time.

I have all the NVIDIA services and driver installed on my Optimus IV (Windows 8.1) and I have no startup or shutdown problems (and never have). I would suggest that you have cured the symptom but not yet discovered the problem. What you describe doesn't sound to be a normal state of affairs. Further investigation might be well worthwhile I think?

Mpatel89

right done that, managed to redownload the nvidia drivers through windows update seems to be ok for now. thanks for that ubuysa :)

I have another issue, I don't know what intel rapid storage technology progranm should do but when I click on it, it says an unknown error has occured and to either restart computer or reinstall the software. I have a solid state drive as my primary and am therefore worried about uninstalling it any ideas on problem?

Mpatel89

i managed to just uninstall it and download the rst driver from the intel website and install that, it shows your ssd and features/tweaks you can enable/disable. I believe the taskhost hanging at shutdown was specifically caused by the 'geforce experience software' as I have reinstalled the nvidia driver and things are fine.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
i managed to just uninstall it and download the rst driver from the intel website and install that, it shows your ssd and features/tweaks you can enable/disable. I believe the taskhost hanging at shutdown was specifically caused by the 'geforce experience software' as I have reinstalled the nvidia driver and things are fine.

If you have an Intel SSD get the Intel SSD Toolbox from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3042&DwnldID=18455&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss. That lets you manage your SSD and optimise it via Trim.