High Performance Laptop?

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
I am still having some trouble with my hard drive choice, im looking between the 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm) and the 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW), i cant decide whether its worth spending the extra money on getting a SSD, how big is the difference between the two?

Garfield The 2nd

massive. simple as that. booting the OS initially, gaming, opening programs. If you can afford it, go for it, you absolutely won't regret it. It is a luxury, but one which is definitely worth it. Also no moving parts, so they are completely silent

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
Would you say its worth the extra money? And may mean that i get the 2.20 quad core instead of the 2.40 to be more within budget.

AndyL

Would you say its worth the extra money? And may mean that i get the 2.20 quad core instead of the 2.40 to be more within budget.

If you are going to be using the laptop for gaming then you might aswell drop the CPU to an i7-2670QM (2.2GHz).

The performance of SSD's is incredible when compared with traditional HDD's. However they do not improve gaming performance as someone mentioned above, they do however improve all loading times such as game loading times and OS boot times, also the OS feels a lot more responsive.

Garfield The 2nd

as mentioned above, i may not have made myself 100% clear, but when i referred to gaming, i meant specifically the loading times, etc, not just generally, but yeah an ssd will be a massive performance gain for any rig overall, and it will make your pc a lot livelier and more responsive in general.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The SSD will make a lot more improvement to the system performance than that from the increase of the cpu. It is well worth it, you will be glad you did it, believe me!

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
thank you i will most likely get one of these now, ive been looking at laptop cooling stands, do you know if there any good?

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
i want to ensure my laptop is future proofed so would that be more so if i got vortex with the 1.5gb gtx 560m rather than the optimus with the gt 555m?

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you, another question i have is it worth getting 16gb of ram for future proofing purposes or would 8 be fine with the chance of faster ram coming out at some point?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
For gaming and general use, 8GB is plenty, possibly overkill. For detailed vid editing, 16GB may be better but I would just stick with 8GB.

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
im just trying to make sure my laptop is future proofed and i know that newer games will take more ram etc, and by an overkill do you mean more than enough?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Overkill can be basically be described by using a bazooka to kill a rabbit when you could use an air rifle. Yes, it does mean that it is pointless, honestly, 8 will be more than enough and you could always add more later if there is enough RAM slots free.

Edit: The optimus 17" only has 2 RAM slots and the maximum supported per RAM stick is 4GB so you won't be able to get 16GB in this laptop. You honestly won't need it though.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I still believe that 8GB will be fine, especially as seeing how easily you could add the RAM later. Honestly, it really isn't worth it right now, 4GB should be enough.

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
Could i add another 4gb later on taking it up to 12gb or does it have to go straight up to 16gb, im asking this purely because the configurator doesnt have a 12gb option so was just wondering.