High Performance Laptop?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
What about if you have a limited number of uses for MS word, is there anyway of moving it without losing one of those uses?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
dont belive so but i thought the way the licences worked is if your planing to use the pc on a different machine, aslong as you dont use it on the prior it would count it as one licence. when for example pcs offer 3 licence it means it can be used on 3 machines at the same time.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
So would that mean that only three can be connected to the Internet at the same time or something, I know this is a noob question but I really do want to know!

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
@music guy123 i saw your post about new clevo models coming out, do you think it would be worth waiting? and what differences do you think they'd they'd have to the vortex 2 17"?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I don't think there will be massive differences, maybe compatibility with the new line of gpus but that will be a little while yet. I don't know what they will entail and I don't know what models they will be replacing so i would just get what you can now, it will still be brilliant and will last you some time.

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
hi, im ordering this weekend, and i was just wondering whats the difference between the 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS and the 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT i know the cache size is different but what does that mean?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
That means that all the frequently accessed data will be stored in the cache, this will mean that the access speeds are much quicker meaning more programs will open very fast. There is a big difference.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The scorpio black is a faster drive in general but the normal size cache means that very little is put into the cache. Therefore, is a little slower. It is faster than the hard drive inside the hybrid. If I were you, I would just stick with a caviar black but the hybrids are much faster than your usual drive due to this cache. It is your choice, yes it does make it a little like an SSD. I guess go for the hybrid if it has enough space and you can afford it.

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
Do you know how to copy the os and all programs and stuff to the ssd if i got one at a later point or would i be better just going on youtube?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can create a backup, programs and all, to an external drive or a second internal drive,
by making a system image(clone the system drive)
either to a second internal or an external hard drive.
unfortunately the windows own "create a system image" wont work unless the drives are of equal size or the target drive is larger than the source drive.
You will need something like norton ghost as mentioned by Music Guy, or acronis to transfer the OS to a smaller drive.
There is a program called Paragon Migrate OS to SSD which looks pretty good.
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/
some SSDs are supplied with free software like this.

Last edited:

grizzlybear

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, thank you very much for all your help, this is looking to be my final spec, let me know your thoughts on it.

Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Quantity