High pitched whine from motherboard

SlickShoes

Since this morning my computer (listed in my signature) is emitting a high pitched squeal/whine. It is intermittent, it doesn't seem to be from any of the fans it sounds like it changes frequency some times, it doesn't happen when I just sit at on the BIOS only when I am actually using the computer.

Anyone got any ideas?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Could be "Coil whine" or "cap whine" these are terms used to describe whistling/hissing sounds that can emanate from components such as capacitors or inductors on the motherboard or GPU for example.This is usually caused by high frequency power draw from the PSU.

Last edited:

SlickShoes

Any reason why it would suddenly start happening? The PC is in my living room and a high pitched whine happening whenever the machine is on is not really going to fly. All the computer is doing currently is posting on this forum, so it's not like it's being stressed or anything.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If it's really annoying it could mean a replacement PSU,best give PCS a call for further advice.

SlickShoes

Cheers, I will phone them on monday, from some googling the only options seem to be what you said, PSU or something undefined on the motherboard.

SlickShoes

It's coming from the PSU so I think I will be getting a new PSU from PCS. Seems to get better some nights and worse at others.

SlickShoes

I need to wait a couple of weeks so that I am in to switch PSU's with the courier, so hopefully it doesn't die in the meantime!

SlickShoes

I have to be there to switch the part with the courier, neighbors all work and my work is huge so I wouldn't trust leaving a PSU with them to hand over to the courier haha

I did get the option of sending mine in first but that would cost me money and mean my PC is out of action for about a week. It still works just now even though it has an annoying whine every now and then.