How does AMD perform in 4-5 years?

wereireland

Enthusiast
I was going through threads about intel v amd and i have decided to go with amd but I found a worrying quote from gorman saying that AMD will not work in a couple of years ( i think?) So what do you think?

AMD's only real issue is cores dropping off as the CPU ages.

Rakk

The Awesome
Yes the cores drop off quicker than the Intel ones, but only after 10+ years or so, so no need to worry

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Become less effective? Bit like when you played your Michael Jackson Bad album for the millionth time (no? Just me?)...the quality rather drops off a bit :D

wereireland

Enthusiast
That would sort of explain why my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ has slowed down to a snails pace even though its only 2 years old....... I would like a new one but cant afford =(

JSG10

Expert
It shouldn't have slowed down that much at all in only 2 years. I'd be looking at clearing your system out. Defrag and clear out temp files for a start and see what programs you are running, especially on start up that cause such a slow down.

wereireland

Enthusiast
It shouldn't have slowed down that much at all in only 2 years. I'd be looking at clearing your system out. Defrag and clear out temp files for a start and see what programs you are running, especially on start up that cause such a slow down.

I have done all those things. I have cleaned and defragmented disks and the registry and i have tried things like tune up utility 2011 to speed up the computer but they didn't make any difference. I timed my reboot time and it was 200 seconds. How does that compare to your boot time speeds?

stegor

Bright Spark
The most likely reason for dropoff is Windows clutter and/or hard drive clutter. If you re-format and re-install windows (I realise this is a bit drastic!) then you will probably find all is back up to speed. I've done this a couple of times on my 3yr old AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ running XP and was amazed at the difference. I'm getting a new PC with Windows 7 shortly so it will be interesting to see if it behaves the same.

wereireland

Enthusiast
The most likely reason for dropoff is Windows clutter and/or hard drive clutter. If you re-format and re-install windows (I realise this is a bit drastic!) then you will probably find all is back up to speed. I've done this a couple of times on my 3yr old AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ running XP and was amazed at the difference. I'm getting a new PC with Windows 7 shortly so it will be interesting to see if it behaves the same.

How do you do both of those things? Im not very good with computers....

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You just boot from your OS disk & do a clean install,but you will have to reinstall drivers updates & programs.
You will lose all data as well so make a backup before you go ahead.

wereireland

Enthusiast
You just boot from your OS disk & do a clean install,but you will have to reinstall drivers updates & programs.
You will lose all data as well so make a backup before you go ahead.

Sounds like a lot of work... especially since i don't have the OS disk or an external hard drive to put the backup on. lol