How much RAM can i have?

Rakk

The Awesome
Yes, you should be able to buy more RAM later for it, the maximum that motherboard can cope with is 16GB total.

And yes, as long as you've purchased a PC from PCS, you can ring up and order components separately and then install yourself.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Well, you can put 4 sticks of RAM in that motherboard. The maximum supported on each stick is 4GB. You have 4GB at the moment, is that 1x4GB or 2x2GB? Either way it still means you can add at least another two sticks of 4GB, possibly 3x4GB if you have the first option. You should just be able to ring pcs and ask for the RAM, it is incredibly easy to install, you should be able to do it yourself, however, I am sure pcs will do it for you it you want.

oli090

Enthusiast
lol thanks both, yea just ordered my pc and i got 2x2gb so looking to buy 2x4gb to bump me upto 12gb. 16gb is just overkill for me. any staff working at PCS know ho much 2x4gb sticks will run?

oli090

Enthusiast
one more thing. as ive ordered 1333mhz is it possible to install 1600mhz with that or does it have to be the same?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I think it ought to be the same. I thought that if you had different speeds, the computer would favour the faster speeded ram and wouldn't use the slower stuff. Am not sure though. I would just recommend going for the 1333mhz though, you won't notice the difference!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think it ought to be the same. I thought that if you had different speeds, the computer would favour the faster speeded ram and wouldn't use the slower stuff. Am not sure though. I would just recommend going for the 1333mhz though, you won't notice the difference!

as far as i know, it will underclock the 1600MHz RAM to 1333MHz or may not work at all

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yeah, you are right actually. The pc will do one of three things, underclock the faster ram which is the most probable. It could just read the slower ram and ignore the faster ram, don't know whether that has anything to do with the motherboard not supporting the faster ram or it could just not work.

PokerFace

Banned
lol thanks both, yea just ordered my pc and i got 2x2gb so looking to buy 2x4gb to bump me upto 12gb. 16gb is just overkill for me. any staff working at PCS know ho much 2x4gb sticks will run?

Is it ok to mix different sticks of RAM (2GB and 4GB)? I'm sure I read somewhere that you can mix the RAM in some motherboards and in others you can't.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it should be fine, as far as i know, my laptop sucks and yet uses a 1GB and a 2GB, as long as the pairs themselves are identical its ok, so you cant have a 1Gb, 2GB, 4GB and an 8GB stick on the same board

PokerFace

Banned
it should be fine, as far as i know, my laptop sucks and yet uses a 1GB and a 2GB, as long as the pairs themselves are identical its ok, so you cant have a 1Gb, 2GB, 4GB and an 8GB stick on the same board

So you are saying you could have 1GB, 1GB, 2GB, 2GB in a 4-slot motherboard? If so, why have you got 1GB + 2GB in your laptop? That doesn't folloow your 'rule'.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh laptops are different as they are not dual channel, the ones would need to be put in slot 1&3 and the 2s in 2&4 or the other way around