How to get two monitors to function as one

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hey guys

I've been looking into getting my two monitors to act as one, so the wallpaper stretches across the two, more for fun than anything else to be honest :)

I have a GTX 560 running two monitors (Iiyama and Acer) and can get it do the whole duplicate and extend etc but cant seem to find a method for stretching?
Some people are saying to use random programs to do it, just wondered what everyones thoughts are?

Catbug

I thought extending did exactly that but only the Taskbar isn't extended. Is it a problem extending the wallpaper itself that you're having?

If it is just a wallpaper problem, I found a little workaround that helps for extended displays when you don't want to install programs for it.

1. Workout the combined resolution of both monitors (for example, a 1920x1200 and a 1280x1024 side by side will be a 3200x1200 size layout).

2. Open paint and put your chosen wallpaper(s) in it (for example, I had a 1920x1200 Superman wallpaper and put a 1280x1024 Batman wallpaper next to it).

3. If one of your monitors has a lower resolution than the other, make sure that you place the smaller wallpaper in paint at the same location as the secondary monitor is relative to the primary (my small second monitor sits with its bottom border level with the primary monitor and to the right, so my second Batman wallpaper does the same in the paint image, with a large blank gap above it).

4. Save the file and set it as your background, making sure to select 'Tile'.

For me, that meant that the Superman wallpaper now sits on my primary monitor and the Batman wallpaper sits on my secondary. Here's a scaled down version of my own for clarification.

bxrv.png

Last edited:

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Yeah extending puts the same wallpaper on the second monitor, so yeah the problem is extending the wallpaper.
I currently have a 1920x1080 wallpaper but have a 3840x1080 I've been trying to get to work but with no luck :(

Catbug

Yeah extending puts the same wallpaper on the second monitor, so yeah the problem is extending the wallpaper.
I currently have a 1920x1080 wallpaper but have a 3840x1080 I've been trying to get to work but with no luck :(

Try selecting the 'Tile' option.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Using the tile method along with a picture from the website you linked Tom worked perfectly :)

Thanks for that idea aswell Catbug, did wonder if there was a way of having two different wallpapers.

As always thanks for the help guys!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
That's what I did on mine. Pretty disappointing you have to download 3rd party software to do such a simple task really.

i didnt download anything? well i didnt to get dual screen wallpapers anyway.

But i did try that display fusion, ended up adding a few seconds to my boot up times. So chinned it off.

bigben

Master Poster
i didnt download anything? well i didnt to get dual screen wallpapers anyway.

But i did try that display fusion, ended up adding a few seconds to my boot up times. So chinned it off.

Haha I misread what you'd posted, I thought you were on about display fusion.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Haha I misread what you'd posted, I thought you were on about display fusion.

i did try that though, i really liked it. Just for some reason it cause my pc to lag :(

It was quite handy for managing stuff on my second screen.

bigben

Master Poster
i did try that though, i really liked it. Just for some reason it cause my pc to lag :(

It was quite handy for managing stuff on my second screen.

I've only tried it for making pretty wallpapers.

edit: actually I did use it to make the bar at the bottom go all the way along but that made things slower.