How to Reduce System Noise

Ron Stoppable

Problem

When my PC's on it makes a clearly audible noise. I'd like to reduce that. My spec's in my signature.

Actions

I've disabled the WD hard drive as I'll only be using that to archive big media files, but that hasn't affected the noise, so I figure it's either a chassis fan, a PSU fan or the CPU cooler.

The PSU is rated much higher than my PC's current max wattage, but I doubt the PSU fan is causing the noise because silentpcreview reports that it should be operating at 21db - and in the Sileo 500 case that shouldn't be audible.

I don't know if the CPU cooler actually has a fan - it's the Triple Copper Heatpipe, which is labelled as 22db on the PCS config page - so again the volume shouldn't be noticeable.

In the BIOS on the Asus's "EZ" options page, there's a "power saving" option, but after setting this and restarting the PC, the noise doesn't quieten and the CPU seems to remain at the same clock speed.

I've found how to tinker with the chassis fan in the BIOS but I don't know what level to set it at that will be safe for the life of the major internal components.

Any ideas?

Gorman

Author Level
If possible, describe the noise or even better record and post or try and isolate it to a certain component in the machine.

Ron Stoppable

If possible, describe the noise or even better record and post or try and isolate it to a certain component in the machine.

http://soundcloud.com/ronstoppable-1/pcnoise

This is with QFan enabled and profiles set to silent on both chassis and CPU fans.

You can hear ambient noise at the start, then I press the power button and some mechanical noise immediately after as it boots up, then you get the noise I'm talking about, with the POST beep in the middle.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
the clip from 14 to 17 is what i would expect this machine to sound like, but i can hear the fans ramping up and down after that point.

Boot, Fans 100%

Then settle to whatever % is needed.

Seems they keep going up and down for some reason.

Is this with all qfan profiles set to silent?

AshleyUK

Bronze Level Poster
Also make sure you have installed any Fan/Temp Controller software that is trying to ramp up fan speed's to max and then the bios is decreasing them again.

Maybe try booting into Safe Mode, so that no software start's on boot and see what happens then, if they still keep ramping up or stay under the Bios Control.

Ron Stoppable

Is this with all qfan profiles set to silent?
I can only find 2 qfan things in the BIOS - for the CPU and chassis - and this is with both of them set to "silent" profiles.

There a options for Fan Speed Low Limits for both CPU and chassis - options are ignore/200/300/400/500/600 and they are currently set on 600 by default. Would this be what I need to change?

Also, I noticed that when I reboot the bulk of the noise is still there, so I'm guessing the fans don't all turn off at reboot?

Also make sure you have installed any Fan/Temp Controller software that is trying to ramp up fan speed's to max and then the bios is decreasing them again.
None installed.