I ordered and OC'd i2500k from PCs but I don't know how to enable the OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my PC about 2 weeks ago and it is working great so far. I noticed however that in the control panel it says my cpu is an "i52500k @3.4GHZ" when it should be @4.4Ghz I ran a cpu test and that told me it was only at 3.4GHZ as well. I went into the BiOS but didn't now how to change it i tried the auto oc tuner option but that just reboots the computer with seemingly no change. Any help is much appreciated

Rakk

The Awesome
I believe* the CPU's only go upto that speed when required, so if you're sitting there doing very little then it will just read 3.4GHz however if you get it doing something that requires more then it will speed up.
So, try do the test when you are running something CPU intensive :)

*note: I could be wrong!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
yup as Rakk said, the i series processors only use as much as they need, so at idle it will use its standard clock, as you start to need more it will ramp up until you reach your overclocked speed.

Manxjason

Silver Level Poster
At idle it'll run at 1.5-1.6ghz. When you start using it will then pump up to full speed. Download CPU-Z, this will tell you the exact speed in real time.

vmagic

I received my PC about 2 weeks ago and it is working great so far. I noticed however that in the control panel it says my cpu is an "i52500k @3.4GHZ" when it should be @4.4Ghz I ran a cpu test and that told me it was only at 3.4GHZ as well. I went into the BiOS but didn't now how to change it i tried the auto oc tuner option but that just reboots the computer with seemingly no change. Any help is much appreciated

the name of the processor will be "i5 2500K @ 3.4GHZ" that's just what the processor is labled as being called in the OS - not the actual speed it's running at

something like GPU-Z will show you the exact speeds it's running

I believe running a 3dmark test will show you the speed on the result page also

markel

Check my recent post "It's Here". in the "show off your PC" thread. Mine came with turbo mode disabled and we had to enable it in the bios. Open CPU-Z which will give you the actual speed the CPU is running at. Now start Prime95 and you'll see the chip speed rise and show exactly how fast it's running. My Core™i7-2700k Quad Core(3.50GHz @ max 5.00GHz) stays at 1.6GHz normally but will show 4.8GHz during benchmarking.

Status
Not open for further replies.