I think i messed something up

gww00

Recently bought a pc thats now in the building phase but forgot to add a wireless pci card. It is 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT. Can i just plug in a usb network adaptor to connect to my wireless router? I wont be needing super fast internet connectivity anyway.

Cheers :turned:

gww00

Thanks for the reply. Could i not just use my existing usb adaptor, or do i really need somesort of internal network card. This is confusing the hell outta me :s does the standard gigabyte lan port even allow for this? I honestly have no need for fast internet

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the reply. Could i not just use my existing usb adaptor, or do i really need somesort of internal network card. This is confusing the hell outta me :s does the standard gigabyte lan port even allow for this? I honestly have no need for fast internet

What motherboard have you chosen? I wouldn't rely on a usb wireless adapter, you could get a pair of homeplugs instead which are more reliable than a wireless card.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I went for the rampage iv extreme mobo, i thought this had wifi anyway? :S

As far as I know it doesn't. If you still want a wireless card you should be able to amend your order but may incur an additional cost when entering the building process.

gww00

Thanks for the reply, i think id rather avoid any further delays and mabey add a network card later on down the road. Im intrigued with the idea of using homeplugs, my guess is these dont require a network pci card either.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
No you wont require a wireless card.Homeplugs are basically a wired ethernet connection through your domestic wiring,
plug one homeplug in to a socket next to your router then connect an ethernet cable from the homeplug to your router,
plug the other one in to a socket next to your PC & connect an ethernet cable from that to your PC.