ideal time for testing overclocks according to Moses

greybing

A popular P.C. magazine states that when overclocking graphics cards you should test it for 4 hours.It suggests Heaven as a good bit of software for this ,which it is.Now when I have overclocked my graphics cards I will do a couple of runs with heaven ,whilst eyeing it for artifacts and crashes.How would testing for 4 hours be possible.I would not be able to watch for artifacts for this length of time.Sure I could leave it running and I would know after 4 hours if it had crashed but on the artifact front I'm a little confused. Have I missed something.

Any advice about this issue and what the article states would be much appreciated or just your thoughts in general on this issue of testing and or benchamarking methods.
Thankyou,
Greybing.

PS,The Moses is a bibical reference pertaining to the ten commandments set in stone,ie,"THOU SHALT TEST AN OVERCLOCKED GPU FOR 4 HOURS".

Last edited:

greybing

Sorry,this is something I should have added in my original thread but I can not be bothered re structuring it. I am overclocking my 2 gtx 460's individually and I can manage to get quite high overclocks that are stable within the methods I have mentioned in my previous post.There are no crashes and the tests are 99.99 percent artifact free but let me explain.When I do really low core clock overclock[say 25mhz over factory,which is 700mhz] I keep getting this one small artifact in the same place [this is on Heaven].This artifact is there on low or high core clock overclocks,[845mhz] and on both cards,there are no othere artifacts ,crashes or anything and the really high core clock overclock also runs fine on stalker and crysis.A note of interest is that I have got the very same artifact at stock speeds

Should I worry about this ,should I stop overclocking or find some ridiculously low [pointless ]overclocking value without this solitary artifact.I am unsure as to what to do.I know that owning two gtx 460's and running them in sli sort of makes overclocking a bit defunct but I just enjoy the ritual of it ,I find it addictive.I would be most pleased if anybody could help shed some light ,offer advice on this as well as on the original post.As I say this should have been part of the original post,[in my overclocking no voltage was changed ,only the core clock]. Thankyou,
Greybing.

Last edited:

lloydehhh

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure about the artifact, but are you aware that overclocking your GPU voids the warranty?

Nemesis

Yes hes certainly aware of that no worries

Oh and greybing i would help but this isnt really my area