I'm trying to buy A Laptop :)

girlek

Trying to buy a Laptop. Advice needed!

Whag1 forum friends :) I'm want to buy a laptop and at this website I chose such a laptop with my budget as 860 maybe till 900 :) can somebody give me their feedback of what u think it would be helpful to choose better choice maybe :)
Chassis & Display
Enigma II: 15.6" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Mobile Processor i7-640M (2.80GHz) 4MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5650 PCI Express - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 SD Card Reader
Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (AS STANDARD)
USB Options
4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Bluetooth & Infrared Options
INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH ADAPTER
Battery
Enigma Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,800/5,200 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
TV Card
NONE
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Stands & Port Replicators
NONE
Carry Case
NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor
NONE
External Keyboard & Mouse
NONE
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
External Speakers
NONE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP)
NONE
Surge Protection
NONE
Printer
NONE
External Hard Drive
NONE
Home Installation
NONE
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Data Recovery
NONE
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Price

Also I'm not sure about CPU do I go for the one I included in spec (Dual Core) or for one of the Quad Core(QM) CPU's?

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Looks good to me, For a laptop a dual core should be plenty.

What specific roles are you using the laptop for?

Meds

Agreed, the specification looks pretty good but if you let us know what you will be using the Laptop for, it will help us make any tweaks that may need to be made.

girlek

I'm going to use this laptop for gaming, studies, watching movies, music, I would like it to be like all around laptop :)

Meds

I'm going to use this laptop for gaming, studies, watching movies, music, I would like it to be like all around laptop :)

If that's the case, then I think you've got all bases covered. The only suggestion I would look to make is change to the i7-740QM (pretty much the same price) as I feel it offers that little extra in when it comes to "future-proofing", others may think differently though. Apart from that, I'd keep everything else as it is!

girlek

If that's the case, then I think you've got all bases covered. The only suggestion I would look to make is change to the i7-740QM (pretty much the same price) as I feel it offers that little extra in when it comes to "future-proofing", others may think differently though. Apart from that, I'd keep everything else as it is!

I was thinking about that too but i7-740QM has 6MB Cache and i7-640M has 4MB Cache and if I'm not mistaken that cache is divided to all CPU's so the Cores of i7-740QM will have less than 2MB of cache and cores of i7-640M will have 2MB cache. I hope u understood what I wanted to say can u give me your opinion :)

Gorman

Author Level
I was thinking about that too but i7-740QM has 6MB Cache and i7-640M has 4MB Cache and if I'm not mistaken that cache is divided to all CPU's so the Cores of i7-740QM will have less than 2MB of cache and cores of i7-640M will have 2MB cache. I hope u understood what I wanted to say can u give me your opinion :)

Hi, Yes and No. The Cache is shared on dual / quad / etc CPU's but not divided between them (more info below) this shouldnt be a factor in the decision, what should be considered is, do the programs you are planning to run on the laptop support multiple threads / cores? If not, its the dual core for you, if so then the Quad.

Integration of a multi-core chip drives chip production yields down and they are more difficult to manage thermally than lower-density single-chip designs. Intel has partially countered this first problem by creating its quad-core designs by combining two dual-core on a single die with a unified cache, hence any two working dual-core dies can be used, as opposed to producing four cores on a single die and requiring all four to work to produce a quad-core. From an architectural point of view, ultimately, single CPU designs may make better use of the silicon surface area than multiprocessing cores, so a development commitment to this architecture may carry the risk of obsolescence. Finally, raw processing power is not the only constraint on system performance. Two processing cores sharing the same system bus and memory bandwidth limits the real-world performance advantage. If a single core is close to being memory-bandwidth limited, going to dual-core might only give 30% to 70% improvement. If memory bandwidth is not a problem, a 90% improvement can be expected[citation needed]. It would be possible for an application that used two CPUs to end up running faster on one dual-core if communication between the CPUs was the limiting factor, which would count as more than 100% improvement.

A multi-core processor implements multiprocessing in a single physical package. Designers may couple cores in a multi-core device together tightly or loosely. For example, cores may or may not share caches, and they may implement message passing or shared memory inter-core communication methods. Common network topologies to interconnect cores include bus, ring, 2-dimensional mesh, and crossbar. Homogeneous multi-core systems include only identical cores, unlike heterogeneous multi-core systems. Just as with single-processor systems, cores in multi-core systems may implement architectures like superscalar, VLIW, vector processing, SIMD, or multithreading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

girlek

I don't know which CPU to choose please someone give me their advice and help me on this thing cause today I'm going to do the order :)

girlek

I have 5.1 creative surround system and only 2 speakers are working I think I need to buy something to be able to play 5.1 surround on laptop can somebody tell me what I need to buy :) thank u :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Your laptop only supports two channel audio, and therefore as far as I know the only way to "properly" play your music out of 5.1 would be through an amp. Even then you will not get surround sound I don't think.