INCOMING!!!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
My 5800X and 3080 are quite happy as they are. Currently handling all the 4k games I can throw at them. Will upgrade once they start struggling.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm on a 2700x and a 2080ti, I'm torn between jumping to a 5800x3D or waiting it out for the new crop (or, as I probably should, just sitting on it for a while - it still works, damn it)
Why do you want to upgrade? Where's the performance lacking? Normally you'd spec a platform for 7 - 10 years, that one can't be more than 4 years old maximum?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure I’d call a 14% increase on the launch price of 5900x vs 7900x promising… 😂
Ah, that must have been an early report before it was corrected later on. I didn't actually read the link but had seen the story elsewhere.

It's Canadian pricing which doesn't translate to US because they pay more for import taxes. So translating it to US prices of Ryzen 5000 on launch makes absolutely no sense.

Similarly, comparing release day prices to current prices of Ryzen 5000 and Intel 12th Gen makes no sense. You have to compare to launch prices of 5000 series Ryzen.

If you looked on the same website for their 5000 series prices at launch, they're almost the same as the 7000 series except for the 7950x which is a hundred or so more expensive.

Skip to 20 seconds in:

Also remember these are primary placeholder prices, so not necessarily any relation to launch prices.

But it looks good to me, if they keep it to $50 increase per chip, I'll be really happy for the expected 35 - 45% performance increase. If they keep it the same, I'll be over the moon.

polycrac

Rising Star
Why do you want to upgrade? Where's the performance lacking? Normally you'd spec a platform for 7 - 10 years, that one can't be more than 4 years old maximum?
That's not the point. Newer, better, shinier! Sadly, it works perfectly (maybe excepting ICUE which is a pain in the RGB) currently but how can I sleep well knowing there are better options?

If I need to start streaming massive poly Blender projects while simultaneously playing TWW3 and Cyberpunk 2077, just to get this forum to support a new build, I want you to know I'm not above that sort of behaviour.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That's not the point. Newer, better, shinier! Sadly, it works perfectly (maybe excepting ICUE which is a pain in the RGB) currently but how can I sleep well knowing there are better options?

If I need to start streaming massive poly Blender projects while simultaneously playing TWW3 and Cyberpunk 2077, just to get this forum to support a new build, I want you to know I'm not above that sort of behaviour.
78D52F13-EC4E-4B51-B083-E3FE31899CF5.gif

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So RTX 4090 has been confirmed to be in production

And now NVidia have announced an announcement on the 20th September

Could it be earlier release than we thought for the RTX 4000 series GPU's??? I guess that's still likely October unless they do very end of september.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
So RTX 4090 has been confirmed to be in production

And now NVidia have announced an announcement on the 20th September

Could it be earlier release than we thought for the RTX 4000 series GPU's??? I guess that's still likely October unless they do very end of september.
When the 3000 series were announced, it was only a few weeks later that the bloodbath that was their release day happened. Could easily be end of September for release day!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Probably says a lot about me that I’m not just excited about the performance of the new generation, I’m very interested in the design of the upcoming Founder’s Edition cards. The 3000 series are stunning to look at with functional aesthetics, I hope that trend continues and that it’s not just a slab with fans.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, this was certainly unexpected by me, but there's very late reports coming in that the Ryzen CPU's could be pushing 6GHz (5.85GHz to be exact) on turbo boost.

Let's face it, that's just mental bonkers loopy.

So currently, we know that the IPC uplift of Zen 4 is 15 - 18% roughly.

If we're getting a further 18% uplift in single core frequency, that's quite something.

Then we also need to factor in the greater cache for up to 10 - 15% uplift if 5800x3D was anything to go by

Now I know that nothings going to scale that linearly, that would never happen, but it's certainly pause for thought.

Well well, it's all happening tonight at Midnight on AMD's YouTube

I won't be staying up as gotta be up for work early boo

Davo64

Not long now until release! I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait even longer for RTX 4K 😂

Is it as worthwhile to wait for GPUs and buy the new gen on launch or stick with old gen and benefit from the reduced prices (assuming you don't need to push the top limits of what the new gen will do)? I suppose a GPU can be upgraded later if necessary while on the CPU end a ton of stuff is changing this generation

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, all looks fairly impressive! Having a 7600X beat a 12900K is no mean feat, (although I'm sure there's a bit of a 'showing titles AMD is better at' in there ;) ) ! The AM5 platform support for 2025+ is certainly a selling point and the whole AM4 compatible coolers is lovely! Slightly concerned that motherboards are from $125 though- hope we're not looking at trash teir Asrock's and Prime B650M-K's over £100!

Now time to see what Intel comes back with 👀

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
And the B650 boards that most users will want won’t launch until October, so people might have to wait that bit longer before purchasing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, as always, wait for 3rd party reviews to be certain of real world performance

Official release date is 27th September

7600x will be on par roughly with the 12900k at Single Threaded gaming performance

The Price points haven't changed from Ryzen 5000, same price points

Still can't find any information on when 3rd party NDA's are up, so not sure when to expect 3rd party reviews, but it will be before the 15th September pre order date.

1661837259866.png

• Pre-orders for Ryzen 7000 CPUs = 15th September, 2022
  • Ryzen 7000 CPUs | X670/X670E Motherboards Launch Date = 27th September, 2022
  • B650/B650E Motherboards Launch Date = 10th October, 2022
One thing I would say, PCIe 5 SSD's have already started being announced, and the performance gain is instantly there with roughly 12000mbps read speeds and 10000mbps write. I would suggest if you're jumping on AM5, don't bother with pcie 4.

And always remember, this is a whole new architecture on a new chipset platform. It's GOING to be buggy on release and will need a few BIOS updates to correct general issues. That's the price you pay for early adoption.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I suspect that for some users the initial investment into a new CPU, MB and DDR5 will be too steep, and going for a 5800X3D with cheaper MB and DDR4 will be a more appealing option for lower budgets, at least initially. Once prices hopefully drop post launch AM5 will make more sense.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Also, with TDP steadily increasing are the days of air CPU coolers gone, even with beasts like Noctua or BeQuiet? Will 240 AIO be the min for adequate thermals. No mention if 7600x comes with a stock cooler for example

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Re-highlighting this purely for the lols...

One thing I would say, PCIe 5 SSD's have already started being announced, and the performance gain is instantly there with roughly 12000mbps read speeds and 10000mbps write. I would suggest if you're jumping on AM5, don't bother with pcie 4.

12000mb/s ....... let that sink in :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: That's the entire Hitman trilogy pulled to RAM in less than 10 seconds!

If there's no wind-up (which there obviously will be) Windows will have loaded before you lift your finger from pressing the power button :D

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Rakk is now happy about deciding to wait and not get a 12th Gen Intel, is looking at numbers and grinning :) (my wallet may not be but that's another thing entirely)
Will you wait a few more weeks to see how raptor compares? Or you think 7000 will still better it?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I want a 7900X3D but it's not been mentioned that I know of. I know AMD will be keeping their cards close to their chest but the radio silence makes me consider a couple of things:

1 - Will it even exist? Will it only be the 7800X that gets the 3D treatment as per the 5000 series?
2 - How much of a hit will it take in general performance. The 5800X3D reduced quite a number of performance aspects due to clock speed. I was hoping to mitigate this by bumping up a level to the 7900 option.
3 - How much will it cost, the 5800X3D added on a significant bump. It was a "prototype" though, so I guess this explains the costs. Might be better & cheaper to opt for the 7950X :devilish:

Without knowing anything I don't think I'll hold out. I think I'll just take the plunge on the 7900X and be happy. I'm thinking I'll pre-order though. I never do this, but I think it'll be worthwhile as I can't see the pricing going anywhere but up. Any wrinkles will be fixed in time.