INCOMING!!!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So it's expected, most areas of computer equipment will rise around 20% in the upcoming months.
Which is why I'm keen to see the price of the motherboards. I was somewhat surprised as well that the CPU prices weren't higher than the last launch, given inflation. But we've yet to know how motherboards are priced, beyond the "$125" entry point, which could be some crappy B650 board from Asrock that is not out until late Oct.

I'm also interested to see how the CPU prices translate to GPB and EUR, given VAT and FX differences. Parity on USD to EUR today :( I miss the days when it was $1=€0.80, so you could get some bargains if electronics shopping in US.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I work in procurement for a global pharma, so for the last 2 years my role has included a new market intelligence task (because no one else wanted to do it).

First we were warned of a couple of months of pain due to Covid…then it was a short war (be over in 2 weeks) in Ukraine…and now we’re being warned of a small conflict over Taiwan.

we’ve seen suppliers closing down because they can’t produce the product, even for the inflated prices the market is asking…and this is before we remind them of our contractual cost caps.

We’ve also seen lead times on some critical components go from 4 weeks to 52 weeks (yes, a YEAR)!!!

I’ve told all my team to ignore any good news rumours they’re hearing and plan for no easing of prices in 2023 either.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Which is why I'm keen to see the price of the motherboards. I was somewhat surprised as well that the CPU prices weren't higher than the last launch, given inflation. But we've yet to know how motherboards are priced, beyond the "$125" entry point, which could be some crappy B650 board from Asrock that is not out until late Oct.

I'm also interested to see how the CPU prices translate to GPB and EUR, given VAT and FX differences. Parity on USD to EUR today :( I miss the days when it was $1=€0.80, so you could get some bargains if electronics shopping in US.
Yeah, it's certainly going to be intriguing on UK pricing.

There's no official word yet on when they're making X670 boards available for pre order that I can find anywhere.

The only word I've seen is that they're being released with the CPU's on the 27th September, so people are expecting same pre order time of 15th September.

But yeah, price of entry is certainly quite a bit higher than previously, even with B550 which was an increase price wise on that chipset tier compared to B450
I work in procurement for a global pharma, so for the last 2 years my role has included a new market intelligence task (because no one else wanted to do it).

First we were warned of a couple of months of pain due to Covid…then it was a short war (be over in 2 weeks) in Ukraine…and now we’re being warned of a small conflict over Taiwan.

we’ve seen suppliers closing down because they can’t produce the product, even for the inflated prices the market is asking…and this is before we remind them of our contractual cost caps.

We’ve also seen lead times on some critical components go from 4 weeks to 52 weeks (yes, a YEAR)!!!

I’ve told all my team to ignore any good news rumours they’re hearing and plan for no easing of prices in 2023 either.
Yeah, it's been one thing after another and there doesn't seem to be any let up.

It's just crazy. Mad mad world we're a part of.

But I think that's very sage advice for all of us really for a while to come.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
There is a silver lining of course…as no one else wants to do my tasks, the company has to keep extending my short-term contract.

Even been there long enough that the warranty has expired in my HP Z-Book G3 laptop, so they’re getting me a new HP Z-Book G7 😏

…as Monty Python would say…”Awwways look on the briiiiiight siyid of loif, dee-doo de-doo de-doo-de-doo de-doo”

NA8

What are people thinking about graphics cards when ordering AMD PC in Sept with the new cards still to be announced? I don't have an old one so you either order current gen or wait (either order without a graphics card or wait on the whole order). Unless the prices drop for the old ones as they get rid of stock but assume the pricing won't be that much of a difference yet a huge upgrade. Then again I'm probably overthinking and probably won't impact my usage that much.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What are people thinking about graphics cards when ordering AMD PC in Sept with the new cards still to be announced? I don't have an old one so you either order current gen or wait (either order without a graphics card or wait on the whole order). Unless the prices drop for the old ones as they get rid of stock but assume the pricing won't be that much of a difference yet a huge upgrade. Then again I'm probably overthinking and probably won't impact my usage that much.
I will personally be reusing an old card, but if I didn't have one, I'd get a basic GPU like the 710 to tide me over unil the GPU's are released in October. You're only paying about £45 for the GT710 and it will come in handy anyway for troubleshooting in the future.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I will personally be reusing an old card, but if I didn't have one, I'd get a basic GPU like the 710 to tide me over unil the GPU's are released in October. You're only paying about £45 for the GT710 and it will come in handy anyway for troubleshooting in the future.
This would be my advice too.

In 2020, the CPUs and GPUs released at pretty much the same time, and it was chaos for months. It's possible depending on CPU stock levels on release that you'll still be waiting for your PC by time the GPUs are released, and you could theoretically just switch one of the new GPUs into your order - assuming the rest of your build is compatible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Regarding GPU's, this is my rough estimate for this generation:

NVidia are in huge trouble, they weren't honest to investors and marked GPU sales for the 3000 series over the pandemic as "Gamer" cards when in fact they were mainly going to miners. Then the mining returns bottomed out, RTX demand absolutely crashed, and the market is saturated with 2nd hand miner cards.

What does this mean for the 4000 series? To avoid a major lawsuit, nVidia need to do anything to disguise the fact that their current sales drop of around 45% for Q2 2022 was to do with mining. As such, they'll keep the RTX4000 series at low volumes to artificially increase pricing. But investors are basically pulling out of nVidia and word on the street is a huge crash may be on the horizon. Basically, the mining boom is unlikely to return now (certainly for GPU hash rates) as Etherium is in the process of moving to Proof Of Stake (which removed GPU mining returns entirely) so essentially that mining market was a short term boost that nvidia dressed up as long term expectations, and investors will hold them to account and expect returns off their promises.

But most gamers will have upgraded on RTX 3000 cards and won't be looking for the 4000 series. The main market for this is the extreme high end gamers who upgrade every generation weather they need to or not, and of course major production workers like studios where saving x number of seconds on a render very realistically works out to $100,000 saved.

From early leaks, RX7000 cards from AMD may be the ones to watch out for at a lower price point, more efficient, and equivalent performance. Plus previous AMD gens were not so good at hashes for mining so they aren't under the same stress from investors to keep crazy high sales figures. They increased their market penetration by 4% over the last year which may sound like a tiny number, but is a major milestone:

But AMD's earnings trajectory have been stable growth, which is far more comforting to investors

And I realise a lot of people are gonna be saying "it's a gaming pc, who cares how much power it uses", believe me, with the expected increase in cost for oil and gas over the next year, everyone is going to be concerned with energy usage.

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
All the new AMD CPUs will have basic but functional integrated graphics that will almost certainly be better than a 710.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All the new AMD CPUs will have basic but functional integrated graphics that will almost certainly be better than a 710.
Ooo yeah, originally the 7900x and 7950x weren't going to include an iGPU bit looks like theyr changed that

NA8

I was thinking of going down the integrated GPU route for the interim. Would PCS allow you to order a GPU at a later date and self install but keep as part of the build and warranty etc? Might not be any point vs 3rd party but wonder what availability will be like.

Hopefully we get release dates on GPUs soon it might be worth waiting another month though not sure I have the patience as I've been holding off for over a year due to the price inflation and waiting for the new gen.

Agree on Nvidia sales problems, heavily benefited from crypto including pricing and now we're entering a global recession. Tough few quarters and assume they'll drop prices but I think beyond that they will be fine especially with data centres and AI.

steaky360

I was thinking of going down the integrated GPU route for the interim. Would PCS allow you to order a GPU at a later date and self install but keep as part of the build and warranty etc? Might not be any point vs 3rd party but wonder what availability will be like.
If you've ordered a system from PCS you can 'upgrade' it to add components so assuming you've specced it accordingly you should be able to add a GPU later and not affect the warranty at all.

Even if you get your own GPU you won't affect your PCS warranty by installing it (assuming you don't break anything during the install). But obviously your GPU would be covered by its own warranty from whomever you bought it from.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is very difficult to consider.

In fact.... no, it isn't. I'm being stupid! I don't need a system, I just want a system.

I know there will be a hit with the 3D cache as far as the clocks go but the fact that it'll outperform everything available now across the board and obliterate what's available now for gaming, I'll just hold off.

7900X3D is what I'm after!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is very difficult to consider.

In fact.... no, it isn't. I'm being stupid! I don't need a system, I just want a system.

I know there will be a hit with the 3D cache as far as the clocks go but the fact that it'll outperform everything available now across the board and obliterate what's available now for gaming, I'll just hold off.

7900X3D is what I'm after!
The answer is simple, buy one 7900x system now, then build a second with 7900x3D in Feb.

Why limit yourself.

Use one for Space Cadet pinball.

Davo64

I'm in a similar position. I've been holding out for Ryzen 7000 for a while already and it's gonna be a tough test for my patience to potentially wait all the way until November for the GPUs lol.

I think for my needs the current generation would be more than sufficient, but the allure of new-gen performance gains can never be ignored. From what's been reported the RTX4090 sounds like a power-devouring nightmare which isn't exactly gonna go well with this economy. The more efficient Rx7000s sound better, though with some rumours of a price increase on top of the delay it makes it harder for me to justify to myself (especially when the prices of current-gen GPUs are likely to drop).

The integrated GPU & buy later route is definitely interesting and something I'm considering, though given that I'm new to this sort of thing I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to psych myself up to open up my expensive machine & start swapping things out lol.

Ah decisions decisions... At least I still have a few weeks to think about it lol

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
given that I'm new to this sort of thing I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to psych myself up to open up my expensive machine & start swapping things out lol.

Ah decisions decisions... At least I still have a few weeks to think about it lol
Took me a couple of days when i was in a similar position and got the Berserker 😂

Last edited:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I'm in a similar position. I've been holding out for Ryzen 7000 for a while already and it's gonna be a tough test for my patience to potentially wait all the way until November for the GPUs lol.

I think for my needs the current generation would be more than sufficient, but the allure of new-gen performance gains can never be ignored. From what's been reported the RTX4090 sounds like a power-devouring nightmare which isn't exactly gonna go well with this economy. The more efficient Rx7000s sound better, though with some rumours of a price increase on top of the delay it makes it harder for me to justify to myself (especially when the prices of current-gen GPUs are likely to drop).

The integrated GPU & buy later route is definitely interesting and something I'm considering, though given that I'm new to this sort of thing I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to psych myself up to open up my expensive machine & start swapping things out lol.

Same here. November 🤔 , waiting till October has got me champing at the bit as it is 😀