INCOMING!!!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Rakk is now happy about deciding to wait and not get a 12th Gen Intel, is looking at numbers and grinning :) (my wallet may not be but that's another thing entirely)
Can you get buyers remorse after two years?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Also, with TDP steadily increasing are the days of air CPU coolers gone, even with beasts like Noctua or BeQuiet? Will 240 AIO be the min for adequate thermals. No mention if 7600x comes with a stock cooler for example
I don't think there's a case to be made for 240mm coolers. They are certainly not superior to a good air cooler. If air coolers are no longer practicable (and I have my doubts about that, personally, but we'll see), then 240mm has had its day too.

For an AIO, 280mm is the only sensible option in my book.

Rakk

The Awesome
Will you wait a few more weeks to see how raptor compares? Or you think 7000 will still better it?
To be honest at this rate I'll probably wait til the new year anyways (ie not buying a PC just before Christmas) as it'll be better for me then anyway, by which time Raptor Lake should be out so I can compare :)

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't think there's a case to be made for 240mm coolers. They are certainly not superior to a good air cooler. If air coolers are no longer practicable (and I have my doubts about that, personally, but we'll see), then 240mm has had its day too.

The TDP for the 7600X is 105, same as the 5900X, and I think most people would recommend a 280 or 360 AIO for that, or at least a Noctua NH-D15 or similar. And if we need to go with that level of air cooling, that might limit people's choice about RGB RAM, given the higher profile.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The TDP for the 7600X is 105, same as the 5900X, and I think most people would recommend a 280 or 360 AIO for that, or at least a Noctua NH-D15 or similar. And if we need to go with that level of air cooling, that might limit people's choice about RGB RAM, given the higher profile.
I'd personally prefer to wait for real world testing rather than relying on the TDP reported by manufacturers...

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd personally prefer to wait for real world testing rather than relying on the TDP reported by manufacturers...
Fair point, I'm using the manufacturers numbers to compare like with like in the absence of real world data.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

In an actual case, and not in bench testing, I would argue that they are. Not in general of course, but good ones like the Corsair H100 series, or even the coolermaster lite offerings.

Sustained use sees air coolers heat-soak far quicker than any AIO water cooler.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In an actual case, and not in bench testing, I would argue that they are. Not in general of course, but good ones like the Corsair H100 series, or even the coolermaster lite offerings.

Sustained use sees air coolers heat-soak far quicker than any AIO water cooler.
Not wanting to re-litigate air cooling vs water cooling, merely to say that 240mm radiators are quite possibly also obsolete in this new era.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not wanting to re-litigate air cooling vs water cooling, merely to say that 240mm radiators are quite possibly also obsolete in this new era.

I do understand, but my point is there actually isn't that much in it between a good 240mm cooler and a good 280mm cooler. The main difference is acoustics thanks to the larger fans.

The actual cooling potential is typically 20w of difference between the fan profiles (240-280-360).

I would always choose the 280 over any, as long as the requirements were met, as it's the best acoustics available. If space is a limitation I would have no issues cooling most chips with a H100i, the customers just need to consider the noise when at full chat.

The worst of the bunch acoustically is the 360mm though. Those can get super noisy with the small fans.

They don't really go much bigger as we are pretty much at the limit of what can be dissipated from the pump head now. Otherwise there would be more significant gains between the sizing. The radiator isn't really the limiting factor.

MrWilson

Godlike
I do understand, but my point is there actually isn't that much in it between a good 240mm cooler and a good 280mm cooler. The main difference is acoustics thanks to the larger fans.

The actual cooling potential is typically 20w of difference between the fan profiles (240-280-360).

I would always choose the 280 over any, as long as the requirements were met, as it's the best acoustics available. If space is a limitation I would have no issues cooling most chips with a H100i, the customers just need to consider the noise when at full chat.

The worst of the bunch acoustically is the 360mm though. Those can get super noisy with the small fans.

They don't really go much bigger as we are pretty much at the limit of what can be dissipated from the pump head now. Otherwise there would be more significant gains between the sizing. The radiator isn't really the limiting factor.
If PCS had the option to whack a H170i Capellix in my build I probably would have taken it. Seeing 3 140mm fans powering at the top of my case might have been the final push to order that tempered glass side panel. Still though, must be a monster pump to push the fluid round, so I guess it might be a noisy boy.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If PCS had the option to whack a H170i Capellix in my build I probably would have taken it. Seeing 3 140mm fans powering at the top of my case might have been the final push to order that tempered glass side panel. Still though, must be a monster pump to push the fluid round, so I guess it might be a noisy boy.
Don't Corsair offer remote pumps yet, so you can mount it on the outside of your house?

NA8

Any idea when PCS would usually update the website configuration so we can consider spec and prices? Ahead of release or is there a delay until motherboards and SSDs all become available and they test etc? Or is it a case of patience and come back end of Sept...

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Any idea when PCS would usually update the website configuration so we can consider spec and prices? Ahead of release or is there a delay until motherboards and SSDs all become available and they test etc? Or is it a case of patience and come back end of Sept...
Config page should go live 15th September.

Reactions: NA8

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pre orders go live on 15th

Reactions: NA8

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't think they do too much with the pumps to be honest. I've long thought this is what holds them back rather than the rad surface area.

The thing is though, by the time you add a proper pump you're almost into a custom setup :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a note about pricing, for me I'm really impressed they kept pricing the same as 5000 series.

If you factor in a couple of economic changes over the last year or so, it's actually quite a significant price reduction.

TSMC are threatening to raise their manufacturing costs by 10 to 20% in this upcoming quarter. Plus of course roughly 10% worldwide inflation driven by energy costs primarily.

Now bear in mind TSMC fab most of the silicon wafers for both GPU's and CPU's and almost every supplier, pretty much other than Samsung, they even now quite a large fraction of Intels fab.

So it's expected, most areas of computer equipment will rise around 20% in the upcoming months.

Last edited: