INCOMING!!!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Interesting detail about RAM:
  1. Sweet spot is 6000 MHz
  2. Higher MT/s when you use one channel vs dual channel. So if you want 32Gb, better to have 2x16Gb than 4x8Gb.

Keep in mind any 8GB offerings of DDR5 will be very limited. Most kits are 2x16GB minimum.

DDR5 is a very different beast. I think this is the reason for the reduction over 4 slots. Definitely something worth keeping an eye on and considering though.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Aye. What I had in mind initially, with the now older gen', was reducing the initial cost of a new system slightly, by buying it with 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM installed. Then at a later date, installing another 2 x 8 GB. But going by what I've seen so far, DDR5 doesn't like working in banks of 4 sticks. 2 sticks is preferred, 4 sticks slows it down, at least that's what I think I've seen. If I want 32 GB of DDR5 RAM, the best option is to install 2 x 16 GB at the very start.
Although I'm not sure how much DDR5 RAM I'm likely to want. I don't want RAM causing a bottleneck. But if it turns out I'd be better with 64 GB of RAM, would it be feasible to buy 1 x 32 GB now, and install another 1 x 32 GB later? Or will I be back at the old, "it's better to run 2 channels of smaller sticks, rather than 1 channel of a larger stick"? So buy 2 x 16s now, then later remove them and install 2 x 32s. To a "careful with his money Scotsman", the second option seems rather wasteful 😆 😆 :cry:
The possibility of selling the 2 x 16s has occurred to me, but small sticks of second hand RAM are not going to command premium prices.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's always better to run two sticks of RAM they're designed to run in pairs, one stick will kill performance in any build

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The best thing to do is trying to get a handle on how much RAM you need. DDR5 is anything but cheap so I think it's important to get the requirements right and try to do it correctly right from the off.

I think most would agree that 32GB is the new starting point with these systems. They're designed with that intent. I would never run with a single chip though.

It appears like there's a massive trade off right now. I'm quite surprised it's so large though so it will be interesting to see what comes out over the coming weeks/months and through testing.

I can't see performance being almost halved, lets put it that way :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That has to be a bug. I've no doubt that the chips will get toasty but to get no hit while almost halving the TDP doubled....... that doesn't add up.

Maybe they're trolling Intel :ROFLMAO:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Is today the pre-order day then? I've not seen anything mentioned.
I don't think so. There were rumours in early Aug of pre order date of 15th, but most sites I'm looking at only talk about launch on 27th. And that's when first motherboards are released too.

From AMD's own press release: "Ryzen 7000 Series Desktop processors are expected to be available globally from leading etailers and retailers beginning September 27, starting at an SEP of $299 USD."

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s going to be a very interesting launch event from two perspectives, price and release schedule.

Are prices going to be significantly lower than they are right now? I’d say not, with the possible exception of 4090, as 3090 and 3090 TI were OTT when it came to pricing.

If the initial releases are just 4090 and 4080, many buyers will be disappointed as the 4060 and 4070 is where most gamers will land. Having to wait until 23Q1 might drive some to buy 30 series now, especially if they’re doing a platform upgrade to AM5.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It’s going to be a very interesting launch event from two perspectives, price and release schedule.

Are prices going to be significantly lower than they are right now? I’d say not, with the possible exception of 4090, as 3090 and 3090 TI were OTT when it came to pricing.

If the initial releases are just 4090 and 4080, many buyers will be disappointed as the 4060 and 4070 is where most gamers will land. Having to wait until 23Q1 might drive some to buy 30 series now, especially if they’re doing a platform upgrade to AM5.
Having been involved in the 30 series launch, I'm also curious to see what availability will be like. It seemed impossible to get a 30 series GPU for ages!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Having been involved in the 30 series launch, I'm also curious to see what availability will be like. It seemed impossible to get a 30 series GPU for ages!
With 3000 series though, the people who pre ordered got them straight away and paid msrp prices. It was only a few months after initial release that the shortages started appearing.

But they were an outlier, that has never happened before. Although from leaks by Jensens investor report, it does sound like he may be holding back 4000 series quantities to artificially inflate costs, but that’s market manipulation and he’d be facing heavy penalties if they were caught.

But with EVGA pulling out of nvidia partnership citing that nvidia we’re impossible to work with, I wonder if any other partners may do similar but switch to AMD rather than dropping out of GPUs entirely.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd hope we don't return to the days of the 30 series! I think there was a perfect storm of conditions (part shortage, Covid, logistics delays, crypto mining, etc) that led to those shortages, that doesn't exist in the same manner today. Having said that, we still have high inflation, Ukraine War, etc.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But with EVGA pulling out of nvidia partnership citing that nvidia we’re impossible to work with, I wonder if any other partners may do similar but switch to AMD rather than dropping out of GPUs entirely.
I'd be surprised if that happens, Nvidia is too big a product line to walk away from overnight. More likely, although low probability, is a Nvidia only partner might also run AMD GPUs alongside. Asus for example might sell NVidia under their Strix brand name and AMD only under TUF Gaming.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So looks like pre release BIOS updates have significantly improved performance (about an additional 10%), and some early overclocking reports

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's some proper gains on the all core.

When the time comes I'll see what the 7900x has in it. If I got 5.5Ghz all core I would be absolutely over the moon. I would dial it back though as most of the stuff I need is single core anyway, and the times that it's not I think I'll be fine with almost 5ghz all core :ROFLMAO:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast

I've preferred Nvidia cards over AMD cards for a long time. However, after watching a few YouTube videos about the 4080/90 release, I'm starting to rethink my preference.
AMD also have their new generation cards coming on stream very soon, which I think are going to be giving Nvidia a good run for the money. Instead of settling for a 30 series Nvidia card, I might wait a bit and go for a new AMD graphics card instead.
Both brands have an agreement on the specs for the PCIe x ?? slot I think. I won't have to buy my new computer with AMD Ryzen 7 series cpu and decide now, whether to buy an Nvidia compatible motherboard or an AMD compatible motherboard, will I? Either manufacturers cards will fit, when I come to buy and fit it.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've preferred Nvidia cards over AMD cards for a long time. However, after watching a few YouTube videos about the 4080/90 release, I'm starting to rethink my preference.
AMD also have their new generation cards coming on stream very soon, which I think are going to be giving Nvidia a good run for the money. Instead of settling for a 30 series Nvidia card, I might wait a bit and go for a new AMD graphics card instead.
Both brands have an agreement on the specs for the PCIe x ?? slot I think. I won't have to buy my new computer with AMD Ryzen 7 series cpu and decide now, whether to buy an Nvidia compatible motherboard or an AMD compatible motherboard, will I? Either manufacturers cards will fit, when I come to buy and fit it.
PCIe is a spec. All the cards comply with it, so they are all cross-compatible. You'll be fine.