INCOMING!!!

Davo64

I've preferred Nvidia cards over AMD cards for a long time. However, after watching a few YouTube videos about the 4080/90 release, I'm starting to rethink my preference.
AMD also have their new generation cards coming on stream very soon, which I think are going to be giving Nvidia a good run for the money. Instead of settling for a 30 series Nvidia card, I might wait a bit and go for a new AMD graphics card instead.
Both brands have an agreement on the specs for the PCIe x ?? slot I think. I won't have to buy my new computer with AMD Ryzen 7 series cpu and decide now, whether to buy an Nvidia compatible motherboard or an AMD compatible motherboard, will I? Either manufacturers cards will fit, when I come to buy and fit it.
I think at this point I'm in a similar situation, something like a 3080 would probably fulfil my needs for quite a long time to come but it's a tough call between going for that and waiting to see what AMD offers, just taking the integrated graphics option for now. I'd imagine since AMD will be trying to compete with RTX40 the odds are good that they'll be able to leapfrog over the older RTX30s, and likely offer better value for any given processing power, not to mention significant efficiency improvements (so lower energy use for the same performance!).

For me I think the decision will come down to whether I just want a sufficiently superb system now or if I should stick with the integrated graphics and wait for the newer system offering better performance and value, though which also comes with the big downside of having to pluck up the courage and install it myself, which isn't something I have experience with and would be nervous of breaking something lol

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
PCIe is a spec. All the cards comply with it, so they are all cross-compatible. You'll be fine.
I thought that was the case, but thanks for the confirmation :)

Ya know, having a stroke doesn't just have physical effects, it has mental effects as well.
My right hand and arm were just a lump of meat, hanging there. My right leg had some problems as well. I've worked hard on the Physio and have made a pretty good recovery, I've basically now got two left arms and hands. Both are roughly equally clumsy, my right hand is a lot weaker than it used to be. I am, or used to be, right handed, now my left hand gets used a lot more. I just completed the Edinburgh Kiltwalk 24 mile sponsored walk, so my leg has recovered well also, although it was starting from a much better point than my hand and arm.
But I've noticed that my short term memory has deteriorated, and I'm quite often searching for words which should be there. How on earth can you do physio on your brain? My short term memory has never been great, but if someone reminded me, I remembered 'being told that'. There was the 'oh sugar, yes, sorry, I forgot' reaction. Now, if someone reminds me, there can be a total blank there, absolutely no recollection at all. It isn't across the board, I do remember stuff, I always have. But some things that get put on a back burner for a bit, are never picked up again. Things I should know, like the PCIe spec thing, I knew but wasn't 100% certain of it. Pre-stroke, I wouldn't have had to ask, I would have known. It's very frustrating for me. So if it's frustrating you as well, I can understand that perfectly. I guess I'm kind of apologising in advance, to everyone :)

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I think at this point I'm in a similar situation, something like a 3080 would probably fulfil my needs for quite a long time to come but it's a tough call between going for that and waiting to see what AMD offers, just taking the integrated graphics option for now. I'd imagine since AMD will be trying to compete with RTX40 the odds are good that they'll be able to leapfrog over the older RTX30s, and likely offer better value for any given processing power, not to mention significant efficiency improvements (so lower energy use for the same performance!).

For me I think the decision will come down to whether I just want a sufficiently superb system now or if I should stick with the integrated graphics and wait for the newer system offering better performance and value, though which also comes with the big downside of having to pluck up the courage and install it myself, which isn't something I have experience with and would be nervous of breaking something lol
I'm pretty sure that @IRLRobinS has said that the integrated graphics are not going to be up to running games, more a graphics troubleshooter type of thing. (A different thread). So you're still going to want a good graphics card. I'm thinking a 2070 Super from the second hand market (£150 ish), will tide me over until the 4060/70 cards come onto the market at sensible prices, or the equivalent AMD card.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I thought that was the case, but thanks for the confirmation :)

Ya know, having a stroke doesn't just have physical effects, it has mental effects as well.
My right hand and arm were just a lump of meat, hanging there. My right leg had some problems as well. I've worked hard on the Physio and have made a pretty good recovery, I've basically now got two left arms and hands. Both are roughly equally clumsy, my right hand is a lot weaker than it used to be. I am, or used to be, right handed, now my left hand gets used a lot more. I just completed the Edinburgh Kiltwalk 24 mile sponsored walk, so my leg has recovered well also, although it was starting from a much better point than my hand and arm.
But I've noticed that my short term memory has deteriorated, and I'm quite often searching for words which should be there. How on earth can you do physio on your brain? My short term memory has never been great, but if someone reminded me, I remembered 'being told that'. There was the 'oh sugar, yes, sorry, I forgot' reaction. Now, if someone reminds me, there can be a total blank there, absolutely no recollection at all. It isn't across the board, I do remember stuff, I always have. But some things that get put on a back burner for a bit, are never picked up again. Things I should know, like the PCIe spec thing, I knew but wasn't 100% certain of it. Pre-stroke, I wouldn't have had to ask, I would have known. It's very frustrating for me. So if it's frustrating you as well, I can understand that perfectly. I guess I'm kind of apologising in advance, to everyone :)
Your right side may not do all the things that it used to do and honestly, I’ve no idea how frustrating that must be for you. But you’ll have plenty of cheerleaders here when it comes to tech advice and crass jokes. And as a left handed man I will offer all the cack-handed tips and tricks I can (sympathy is a big factor).

You’ve slotted into the forum well thus far with a great attitude and a magnificent beard, keep on keeping on 🙂👍

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Your right side may not do all the things that it used to do and honestly, I’ve no idea how frustrating that must be for you. But you’ll have plenty of cheerleaders here when it comes to tech advice and crass jokes. And as a left handed man I will offer all the cack-handed tips and tricks I can (sympathy is a big factor).

You’ve slotted into the forum well thus far with a great attitude and a magnificent beard, keep on keeping on 🙂👍
Well that's very nice to hear (read). Thanks very much :D

I'll try to keep my standards up, although occasionally I'm sure I'll put my foot in it.
I've no intention of giving up. Hell, I'm even looking to buy a new computer at some point in the next few weeks. As soon as I can order it basically. I'm going to get plenty of time on that, to make it a worth while investment. Before even considering not keeping on keeping on 😆

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Doesn't loo good for future pricing

Nvidia are, of course, trying to create a mood to make their prices seem more reasonable and maximise their profits, as any company will.

Let's wait and see what the free hand of the market says to their pricing ideas...

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Always knew there was something off about you

@SimonPeters116 you stick around here long enough before you know it you'll be digging around inside your computer moving things, adding components and pulling things out before you know. The itch catches us all eventually, it's honestly really fun though
To cut a long story short, I've been playing with computers since the 80s.

The longer story. The computer I'm using now, I built it originally and upgraded it. The one before was the same. The one before that was built by my local computer shop, then upgraded by me later. The one before that was the same.
I still have a set of 3.5" floppy discs, with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1 on, I don't remember the specs of the first computer that was installed on. I do remember being excited at buying an Intel 386 cpu, and there was a turbo mode 😮 😆
Before any of those I had a Commodore 64, with cassette drive. You used to buy books of games, yes I said BOOKS. They had C+ code for the games printed in them, 10 - 15 games in a book. You had to transcribe the code and save it onto cassette, then load the game. They rarely worked. So I used to print them off on my daisy wheel printer, check them against the book line by line, to make sure I hadn't misplaced a dot or space etc. Then I'd break it down, rewrite it so the nested if-thens were in the correct order, etc and make them work. Load them, they became playable eventually, but they were really, really __________ <Fill in your own expletive here. I gave up after a few games. Learning C+ was fun, but when all the hard work resulted in junk I got bored. (I think it was C+, could've been C++, it was a long time ago)

I've been scratching that itch for nearly 40 years mate, it is still fun though 😁

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My “gaming pc” journey:
  1. Amstrad 464
  2. Commodore Amiga 500
  3. Gateway Pentium 133MHz
  4. Random computer shop build
  5. Dell Dimension 8400
  6. PCS Build
Ah, nostalgia….

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My gaming journey was:
  • Noughts + Crosses
  • Chequers
  • Backgammon
  • Mahjong
  • Choose Your Own Adventure books
  • Astro Wars & Scramble
  • NES
  • Commodore PET
  • Amstrad CPC464
  • Commodore 64 (round version & wedge version, had cassette deck, disk drive & cartridges for those)
  • Text adventures on 8086 PC (I was writing them myself in COBOL for my computer course)
  • SNES
  • Star Wars on Mac SE (my work PC at the time)
  • N64
  • GameCube
  • Xbox 360
  • XboxOneX
  • Ryzen 5800x/RTX3080Ti gaming PC
There are also lots of Mac gaming in there but it covers the whole period between the Mac SE and now.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
• Choose Your Own Adventure books
Classic gateway situation. A little £5 starter bag of Jackson/Livingstone and you’re well on the way. Next thing you know, you’re skipping meals so that you can afford a cheeky D20. Fast forward a few months and you’re waking up in a pool of your own vomit with your character sheet stuck to your face.

Just say no, kids.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So looks like pre release BIOS updates have significantly improved performance (about an additional 10%), and some early overclocking reports

So new record set for overclocking:

7.2GHz on Single core
6.5GHz all cores!!!

Obviously thats on LN2 on the 7950x, but that's mental!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So new record set for overclocking:

7.2GHz on Single core
6.5GHz all cores!!!

Obviously thats on LN2 on the 7950x, but that's mental!
Apparently it was an H115i, not LN2.

🤯

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apparently it was an H115i, not LN2.

🤯
Lols, those were benchmark records, not overclocking, you'd never get anywhere over 6GHz without LN2

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I misread that 5 as a 6. I'll make some more coffee.
587D1BAE-3B6D-4B5B-B263-6F40745FA5AD.gif