Installing another GTX 780 ti

VenatoS

Couple of questions!

1. Will my mobo (motherboard) come with an SLI bridge?
2. Will 850W be enough for 2 GTX 780 ti's
3. Is it possible to have 2 different models of gtx 780 ti? e.g one is ASUS other GIGABYTE?

Thanks a lot ;)

Planning to upgrade in a year or two :p

T

TheGeeza

What motherboard do you have? If it supports sli then yes it will come with a bridge.
What PSU is it? If it is rated 80+ gold or higher then it should run 2 but it does depend on the rest of your system. It's never recommended to run at your PSUs maximum capacity.
Yes it is possible so long as you sync the clock speeds with evga precision x although this should be done automatically by the system.

VenatoS

CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

ASUS® Z97-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE

Here ya go :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I generally suggest going for two of the exact same cards, then it will look better and you wont get any compatibility issues. Oh n the vram of both cards needs to be the same. And if you add a faster card with a slower card bith will default to the slower cards speeds.

As for power id want atleast a 1000w psu for two high end gpu's. Otherwise you may end up running your osu at near 100% capacity most of the time, which means more heat, fan noise and the psu will be less efficient.

T

TheGeeza

A decent 1000w PSU should be fine for sli 780tis.
I would still say that a decent 850w would run them but I wouldn't risk it. Especially considering the price of the components :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Couple of questions!

1. Will my mobo (motherboard) come with an SLI bridge?
2. Will 850W be enough for 2 GTX 780 ti's
3. Is it possible to have 2 different models of gtx 780 ti? e.g one is ASUS other GIGABYTE?

Thanks a lot ;)

Planning to upgrade in a year or two :p

Thanks a lot for this thread! Answered all my questions too!

I may sell my GPU though because quite frankly Palit is uuugggly....

New case, PSU and some braided cables and I'll be laughing all the way home from the bank. Which would be a nice change!

T

TheGeeza

1000w is still recommended both by Nvidia and by PCS to be on the safe side. Last thing they want is for someone to return their system because the PSU they chose is too small or is overheating due to it running close to it's maximum output.
I doubt you would have any problems installing 2 but I still wouldn't risk it considering the price of the hardware. Better to be safe than sorry really.

Last edited by a moderator:

steaky360

I'd agree with this, basically the price difference between the 850W and 1000W PSU's is minimal but the 1000W PSU won't be 'pushed as hard' as the 850W would under the same load. Which would mean less stress on the PSU etc. etc.

All good if you ask me :) But then again, I guess no one did :(

VenatoS

Sooooooooo, you dont suggest i put another GTX 780 ti into my 850W PSU (Gold +)
But it SHOULD work fine on it?

steaky360

If you are confident it will work then by all means go for it. Chances are if anything happens it'll be the PSU failing and dying as opposed to it killing your other components.

I wouldn't recommend it though, although I don't know how 'bad' it would be (I don't want to scaremonger you into not doing it)

:)

Maybe I'm just a big 'scaredy pants'

T

TheGeeza

Sooooooooo, you dont suggest i put another GTX 780 ti into my 850W PSU (Gold +)
But it SHOULD work fine on it?
Exactly.
The PSU should be able to run the two cards no problem but it is not recommended by either PCS or Nvidia. Therefore I would advise against it.
Feel free to try it. Just don't blame us or PCS if something goes wrong :)

mishra

Rising Star
It may it may not... Single GTX 780 ti can draw up to 250W. So both of them will in the most extreme scenario take 500W, that will leave 350W for the rest of your system. If you would ask me if you can power your PC (except GPUs) with just 350W I would say NO, that is just silly ... but it possibly will work. It is just not recommened

So you may take a risk and try working with SLI 2x 780ti with only 850W PSU... but if you stress both your graphics, and your CPU and you have few hard drives, etc... your PC may crash. I am sure it will work fine while working on Word document or watching Youtube video, but will it survive 10 hour session with Battlefield maxxed out ?! Not sure. It is you call mate. I would also agree that getting 1000W PSU is a smart choice, but you can try with 850W and see how it goes.
Most of the time your GPU will not be drawing 250W each... that is the most extreme case. Equally, there is no proof your 850W PSU is actually providing 850W ... as over time they provide less and less. (roughly speaking).

VenatoS

It's alright, im still looking far in future, since i'm using 1080p res so i only need one gtx 780ti for now :D

Thanks for your suggestions thou :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Everyone, and i mean it, on all sites are saying that 850W is more then enough for SLI GTX 780 ti.

A 850w PSU should handle it but a 1000w or above would be much better.

I always overestimate on power consumption because it's best to have too much capacity than not enough!