Installing on HDD instead of SSD HELP!!!

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Hi....Just got my new vortex 3 elite delivered today and im very impressed to say the least...so far anyway.

My problem is.....Ive never had a ssd before but with this laptop i opted for a 120gb SSD for windows and 1 or 2 games i play the most. I also have a HDD 750gb as a 2nd hard drive.

Now if i want to say for instance install msi afterburner on my HDD instead of the SSD, is it just a case of selecting the HDD from the install options?? The reason i ask is that the HDD is totally blank with no program files folder or anything.....totally blank !!!! Or do i have to install windows 7 on the blank HDD as well to be able to install programs?

Forgive me if its a dumb question, but just thought id ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
When you are installing new programmes you usually get an option to select the destination folder, just make sure you select your HDD.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Normally you can easily install programs on your second hard drive.The vast majority of applications will give you the option where to install,a very few won't however.
No need to install windows on the HDD,I think the best way to do it is,when installing an application or game and you want it on the HDD (second hard drive) is to simply delete the "C" on "location"when installing the program and type in the drive letter of the drive you want to install to,this will automatically create the necessary folder on the second hard drive the first time you do it,this can also avoid any possible conflicts between 32 and 64 bit programs.Simply selecting the HDD as the destination without creating a folder,can cause files to be scattered all over the place on the drive,and you really don't want that.:)

Last edited:

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Normally you can easily install programs on your second hard drive.The vast majority of applications will give you the option where to install,a very few won't however.
No need to install windows on the HDD,I think the best way to do it is,when installing an application or game and you want it on the HDD (second hard drive) is to simply delete the "C" on "location"when installing the program and type in the drive letter of the drive you want to install to,this will automatically create the necessary folder on the second hard drive the first time you do it,this can also avoid any possible conflicts between 32 and 64 bit programs.Simply selecting the HDD as the destination without creating a folder,can cause files to be scattered all over the place on the drive,and you really don't want that.:)

Thanks Vanthus.....i will try that.......so basically when it gives me the installation dir of for example C:/program files(86) blah blah blah I just delete the C and put D(my HDD)?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks Vanthus.....i will try that.......so basically when it gives me the installation dir of for example C:/program files(86) blah blah blah I just delete the C and put D(my HDD)?
Yes,D or whatever the drive letter for your second drive is.

Last edited: