Insurance quotes?

bigben

Master Poster
Time for me to renew, my renewal price was £412.
Quotes on gocompare (based on 20 year old male with 3 years no claims on a Citroen C2):
£500 voluntary excess: £413.63
£250 voluntary excess: £351.92
£100 voluntary excess: £351.92
£0 voluntary excess: £364.64

Crazy that offering to pay less money brings down the price by so much!

steaky360

Don't get all hung up on insurance... there are loads of other ways motoring drains your bank account... tax, mot, repairs, and then... fuel. Insurance is not usually the biggest expense. Certainly not once you've got a couple of years no claims anyway :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Don't get all hung up on insurance... there are loads of other ways motoring drains your bank account... tax, mot, repairs, and then... fuel. Insurance is not usually the biggest expense. Certainly not once you've got a couple of years no claims anyway :)

Happy riding my bike :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Happy riding my bike :)

Well, its all well and good for the londoners that have an abundance of public transport. But up in the North (and probably everywhere else) public transport if absolutely terrible, completely overpriced, far too busy, takes far too long and many bus services stop in the early evening.

I used to use trains alot when i was in the Army, often going from home to camp or camp back home again. But in all honesty, it was a complete nightmare, would cost me near 100 quid, say Newcastle to Sheffield, then Sheffield towards Manchester. - which would often take about 5-7 hours total travel time. - oh I'd have to pay the 100 quid to go back as well! Whereas, using a car I could drive from point A to B in 2 n half hours for about 25-30quid petrol.

Where I live now in the North East, there are loads of cities within less than 20miles of each other, so less than a 30min car journey. Public transport is available but it is terribly expensive. Taking a bus into Teesside costs a tenner for a return and takes over 2 hours. However, I can drive there for less than that in 30minutes. Its the same all over the place, costs more than a tenner for a bus, takes two hours but in a car it takes less than 30minutes. That could be 4 hours traveling a day and 50quid a week just in bus fares! I'd rather spend the 50 quid on petrol and travel in good time and comfort in my car.

I'm sure public transport is great down in London, but I've not lived anywhere in the UK where it's affordable and practical.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster

Don't I know it!

Insurance for a year £250
Tax 200 summit quid....
Fuel £50+/- a month

Last 12/14 months repair bill £2500+

That was with cycling to work every day possible in the summer (electric bike ftw) still managed to have the alternator, power steering pump, various electrics and some other random stuff that just happens to be 5 hours labour to replace a £10 part... MOT to MOT I only did 4500 miles... so for me that's a little over 50 pence a mile in repairs alone! Bought that car thinking if I bought newer id have no problems, previous one sailed through 4 MOT's straight.... Anyway im not bitter about it.

Glad to be working literally 10 seconds walk from my house soon, still need a car though. But im not bitter about it, honestly!

Oh yeah and anyone who lives in a city GET AN ELECTRIC BIKE. I got mine 3 years ago for going to work and back, it's epic. They do 15MPH which is almost enough to keep up with city traffic, not sure I'd have the balls to ride it in a city mind you. I commuted a 6 mile round trip on it, up to 3 times a day. (don't ask, the job was weird) really good cheap alternative. Also means you don't have to pay to sit next to strange people. 7 pence a charge and goes up to (supposedly) 28 miles on a charge. Most I ever get is about 20, but im fat and cba to pedal most of the time.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Oh yeah and anyone who lives in a city GET AN ELECTRIC BIKE
Pedalling is the best part! I went for a folding bike since I need to take a train in between, very relaxing in the mornings just cursing through the traffic.