Intel 14th Gen

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So they've been officially announced, with release date of October 17th and with"AI Overclocking" up to the same 6GHz

From what I'm hearing, it's pretty much zero performance bump, all that's happened is they've increased frames per watt so they run cooler, which is definitely a good thing and needed, but not what you want from a refresh where you'd normally expect a minimum of a 10% performance bump. The 14700k is the outlier as that is the only chip with more cores on 14th gen, so be open to upcoming 3rd party reviews on that whenever they actually come out.

The other weird thing is that reviews appear to be embargoed still, we know Derb8uer was given a 14600k and a 14900k but no 14700k? Seems odd, there's definitely something fishy going on even for Intel, from what I understand no one has received a 14700k for review date tomorrow!

This is Derb8uers review, it's just about the specs, no performance benchmarks allowed until tomorrow!

This is quite reminiscent of 11th Gen. As Derb8auer correctly says, they should have released these under the 13th gen nomenclature, not as their own generation, they made a big song and dance about these after admitting they had to cancel Meteor Lake which was basically moved to 15th Gen, so they did need something more than this at this stage.

The plus side is that apparently 14th Gen will be cheaper than 13th Gen ON RELEASE, so that likely means still more expensive than 13th Gen currently are, but it's a step in the right direction.

It also means this is the 3rd generation to be supported on the same socket which is unusual for Intel as Derb8auer goes into in his video.

Intel have to come out swinging with their all new architecture on 15th Gen or they really are going to start falling too far behind. They undoubtedly still come ahead in some niche use cases, their performance in Startfield for one is unquestionably a significant improvement over even the 7800X3D, but these niche use cases are getting fewer and fewer as the gap widens.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
So they've been officially announced, with release date of October 17th and with"AI Overclocking" up to the same 6GHz

From what I'm hearing, it's pretty much zero performance bump, all that's happened is they've increased frames per watt so they run cooler, which is definitely a good thing and needed, but not what you want from a refresh where you'd normally expect a minimum of a 10% performance bump. The 14700k is the outlier as that is the only chip with more cores on 14th gen, so be open to upcoming 3rd party reviews on that whenever they actually come out.

The other weird thing is that reviews appear to be embargoed still, we know Derb8uer was given a 14600k and a 14900k but no 14700k? Seems odd, there's definitely something fishy going on even for Intel, from what I understand no one has received a 14700k for review date tomorrow!

This is Derb8uers review, it's just about the specs, no performance benchmarks allowed until tomorrow!

This is quite reminiscent of 11th Gen. As Derb8auer correctly says, they should have released these under the 13th gen nomenclature, not as their own generation, they made a big song and dance about these after admitting they had to cancel Meteor Lake which was basically moved to 15th Gen, so they did need something more than this at this stage.

The plus side is that apparently 14th Gen will be cheaper than 13th Gen ON RELEASE, so that likely means still more expensive than 13th Gen currently are, but it's a step in the right direction.

It also means this is the 3rd generation to be supported on the same socket which is unusual for Intel as Derb8auer goes into in his video.

Intel have to come out swinging with their all new architecture on 15th Gen or they really are going to start falling too far behind. They undoubtedly still come ahead in some niche use cases, their performance in Startfield for one is unquestionably a significant improvement over even the 7800X3D, but these niche use cases are getting fewer and fewer as the gap widens.

trust intel to be convoluted as always

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
From what I had been reading the 14700K was going to be the one highlight. Holding it back definitely gets the spidey senses tingling.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Reviews should be dropping soon, I'm really intrigued by the 14700k although no idea when someones actually going to get one if they didn't give Der8auer one, he's like THE CPU benchmarker to find tollerances and voltage optimisations.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ooo, they are in, but for some reason not coming up that easy in google

OMG, Hardware Unboxed are brilliant, just brilliant

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll not get to see any of this until later can someone give a brief gist other than what I already reckon I know through pattern alone?

My prediction

14900K is stupid hot, beyond stupid like worse than previous. Literally trying to start actual fires hot

14700K pretty decent but outshined in everyway by the cheaper AMD equivalent

14600K Would have some decent uses if it wasn't outshined in every way by cheaper AMD option

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll not get to see any of this until later can someone give a brief gist other than what I already reckon I know through pattern alone?

My prediction

14900K is stupid hot, beyond stupid like worse than previous. Literally trying to start actual fires hot

14700K pretty decent but outshined in everyway by the cheaper AMD equivalent

14600K Would have some decent uses if it wasn't outshined in every way by cheaper AMD option
OK, TLDR

Purely on CPU Stress, not including GPU utilisation at all.

14900k 533W system power vs 277W on the 7950X3D or 364W on the 7950X or 198W on the 7800X3D, this throttled so never was able to reach full frequency at any time on a 360mm rad - 40% higher power requirements vs equivalent AMD X3D! That's absolutely insane.
14700k 471W system power was able to not thermal throttle on a 360mm premium radiator
14600k 310W system power

14700k is around 20% faster than the 13700k as has the 4 additional eCores, this is the only worthwhile update.

As usual, they perform well in Adobe apps

And Starfield is definitely an Intel title

But pretty much exactly the same performance over 13th gen, in some examples, you get about a 2 - 5% increase from the slightly higher clocks.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So, in other words...if you must have an Intel chip for some strange reason, then just buy whichever is cheaper of the 13th/14th gen as they're 'the same'!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
OK, TLDR

Purely on CPU Stress, not including GPU utilisation at all.

14900k 533W system power vs 277W on the 7950X3D or 364W on the 7950X or 198W on the 7800X3D, this throttled so never was able to reach full frequency at any time on a 360mm rad - 40% higher power requirements vs equivalent AMD X3D! That's absolutely insane.
14700k 471W system power was able to not thermal throttle on a 360mm premium radiator
14600k 310W system power

14700k is around 20% faster than the 13700k as has the 4 additional eCores, this is the only worthwhile update.

As usual, they perform well in Adobe apps

And Starfield is definitely an Intel title

But pretty much exactly the same performance over 13th gen, in some examples, you get about a 2 - 5% increase from the slightly higher clocks.
Why would you release that?!

11th gen all over again

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
On the bits I paid attention to the 13700k vs 14700k was around 3% higher in gaming and at best 12% higher in productivity.

It's significantly worse than I thought it was going to be..... and I wasn't expecting much at all.

The other 2 are complete trash IMO.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Holy crap it's actually much much worse than I initially was imagining

So lets get this straight Intel for £100 more of my money than a 7800X3D you are offering less performance, more far more power consumption, astromically more heat and support that'll likely end next year with the new chips?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

So lets get this straight Intel for £100 more of my money than a 7800X3D you are offering less performance, more far more power consumption, astromically more heat and support that'll likely end next year with the new chips?
Don't forget to say thank you for their kind and beneficent offering.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Yes, but you get a bigger number, so it's all worth it!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
intel be like

"did we mention our new fire reduction unit focusing on protection of property through our new thermal suppression system"
...BIG NUMBER!

There has to be a big number in anything they say, just drop it in at the end of the sentence even if it makes absolutely no sense.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
...BIG NUMBER!

There has to be a big number in anything they say, just drop it in at the end of the sentence even if it makes absolutely no sense.

"did we mention our new fire reduction unit focusing on protection of property through our new thermal suppression system - uplift of 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 on cinibench"

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just posting this from Jayz, he's been quite Intel favourable for a long time, this is unusually negative from him

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm curious how he has been running the chip in the mid 70s with temps though, something strange there where everyone else hits TJMax in seconds with 360mm AIO bench cooling.