'Intellipower' ?

mattdanielc

Silver Level Poster
Hi guys

I've chosen a spec with the 640GB WD Caviar green hard drive which lists the RPM as 'intellipower'. IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.

For just £8 more I can get the 640GB WD Caviar black hard drive which has the RPM at 7,200. Is it worth paying the £8 for the guaranteed RPM? As the research I've done via google it appears the caviar green model tends to operate at 5,400 and I've rather have a more powerful / quicker hard drive?

Cheers :)

Gorman

Author Level
If you want the faster drive then the black it is.

Worth is relative, if its worth the extra £8 to you then its worth it!

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
I've gone for the Black as my main drive for operating system, programs and apps with a larger green as 2nd drive for storage/backup, that seems to be what each is aimed at. Although the green would be OK as a main, the black is gonna be slightly faster loading Windows, games etc.
If you're going for a gaming machine I'd suggest the 8 quid is worth getting the black in my opinion, but I'm no expert, just on the research I've done.

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Oh but also, the green is quieter and runs a bit cooler, plus kinder to your electric bill. If those outweigh slighty faster performance for you then stick with the green.