invalid partition table

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
I turned off my PC as usual last night and noticed it was doing an automatic update. This morning I turned it on and after the bios screen I get the message "invalid partition table".

Erm. Help!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
First,enter bios setup & check OS hard drive is being recognized & has not somehow been disabled or moved in boot priority.
If all looks ok in bios,try a startup repair from your OS disk.

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks vanthus. I checked the bios via f8 and the os drive was top of the list. I hit return and w7 started immediately. Not turned off as I have work I must finish today. Wonder if it will happen again next time...

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
'Fraid not. Had time to try a shutdown and restart. At shutdown it's telling me there are still two updates to install. Also, there's a brief alert saying a process is preventing shutdown, but that disappears after a fraction of a second. Then it shuts down but says "invalid partition table" on restart.

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Oh dear. Now not even getting bios splash screen just ten seconds of black screen with flashing cursor top left then invalid partition table message.

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
OK, if I hit f8 on hearing the beep, it takes me straight to the drive list in bios and asks me which drive has OS. If I select drive manually, W7 boots up. If I hit Esc to use default I get invalid partition message. Bios isn't selecting the right drive. Never done any bios repairs. How does it work?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
make sure there are no usb sticks inserted.
Looks like the update has screwed things up or hasn't,finished properly.
If the right drive is selected as first boot in bios as you say,it should boot with that drive.Although you may have to set it as first in hard drives as well as boot priority.
If no joy,I would boot up manually as you have been & try a system restore,before the update started.

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Vanthus. Just tried that. Restored the system to a point two days ago when all was sweet and nice. On restart it still goes straight to "invalid partition table". If I do Ctrl-Alt-Delete the system restarts. If I press F8 after the beep I get the drive list with the OS drive at the top. Pressing enter starts W7 normally and it all works fine.

If I press Delete after the beep I can get into the BIOS setup but don't really know what I'm doing in there. Boot priority shows it looks for a CD-ROM first before going to the OS hard disc, as normal.

Feels like I need help with the BIOS, getting it to select the OS hard drive properly.

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
sorted

Thanks very much for your help. I had changed the connection for my drobo from 1394 to USB and so it was trying to boot from that. Much more serious problem now. Will start a new thread.