is 1 of my cores broken?

jonathan

Bronze Level Poster
hehe im still clueless :D i guess i'll just clean it out since ive never even opened it up since i got it

Gorman

Author Level
Ok, the cpu and the heatsink on the cooler both have flat surfaces and heat goes from the cpu into the cooler where it is dispersed.

As no surface is actually flat represented by the gray shades we apply TIM, the pink stuff to help heat transfer. Modern CPU's would get too hot without the TIM aiding heat transfer

TIMs_clip_image001_0002.jpg

edited found a better picture, replace peltier with cpu you get the idea ;)

Gorman

Author Level
stuff can go funky over time and needs changing leading to high temps. or your cpu's just plain borked!

Thats me signing off for now, cyas

jonathan

Bronze Level Poster
uurgh now im realy confused... okay msconfig is telling me i have 1 processor.. device manager is saying both my processors run correctly CPUZ is saying i have 2 processors everest is saying i have 2 but only 1 is working =s
wthp.jpg
im logging off now been researching for hours

jonathan

Bronze Level Poster
holy bleep! i think i fixed something by myself haha!

i installed windows 7 ultimate and now both my cores are running and im down to 55.C instead of 90 :) :cool:

steveuk87

Super Star
congrats dude! haha (just finished reading all this :/) haha see if it remains stable, probs would be a good idea to give it a good clean though that might also help with the temps.. also where is it situated?? (knee, cushion, desk) maybe get a gel mat to absorb some of the heat away from the lappy??

Steve

Zeplini

yer bad thing with laptops over time is they collect a lot of debris, with them being so small this can cause serious problems after time

jonathan

Bronze Level Poster
i wanted to open it up yesterday but the keyboard has the most tiny screws ive ever seen!

mite order a screwdriver set in a bit

steveuk87

Super Star
screwdriver? try this deal then... http://www.dennismags.co.uk/custompc enter the offer: "E1004SCAN" and you can get a free 26 piece toolkit and 3 issues of CUSTOMPC for just £1 (and afterwards 6 issues for £15.99) not a bad offer tbh.. going to do it in a bit, just thought i'd throw in my 2 cence :)

Steve

jonathan

Bronze Level Poster
"Please allow 28 days for gift delivery" cheers but i dont feel like waiting that long :D

edit: ordered a philips size 00 from amazon

Last edited:

steveuk87

Super Star
haha fair do's well i've done it neways cz i need a decent toolkit mine wayyyy too small and the pic of it i have is pretty decent!! plus i think i need a few hints n tips with mine coming (and to keep Gorman on his toes :p)

Steve