Is 90c for my HD6970 too hot when gaming?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
I've got mixed thoughts as to whether or not 90c is too hot for my HD6970 when gaming (BF3)?

Normal temps are around 40-50, and when gaming its around 90.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Reece

Buzz

Master
Well....

Yes and no...Lol

Yes, in that 90c is pretty hot if a GPU is running for long at this temp.
No, depending on what game you are running, how hot your room is, what case and cooling you have, what kind of (if any) overclocking you have set up.

A lot of different factors come into play when talking about temperatures.

Personally my GPU runs at about 45-60°C (Idle and light use), and goes up to 75°C which is the max I can remember it being off hand playing Dirt 3.

Corfate

Author Level
I agree with Buzz :)

My 6670 runs at about 34c when online, but goes up to about 39 when on BF3.

I recently added a soundcard, which blocks a great deal of the fan. This has lead to online temps being 38c, and when on bf3, temps of up to 50c. So if you have something like a wireless card or soundcard blocking the fan, it could be heating up the card.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for your two replies.

I do play Battlefield 3 on almost fully max settings.

I have a Nzxt Phantom case (default fans - 2 side, 1 top, 1 back, 1 bottom), Sabertooth P67 board and a TITAN FENRIR EVO cpu cooler.
I do have a Audigy SE sound card under it which will I would assume be blocking a bit of the fan flow.

But should it still really be at 90c?

Corfate

Author Level
Have you got a pic you could show us of the soundcard and GPU? Just want to know how close they are :)

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Sure I'll try to post one up tomorrow.

Was gona unplug it and take the sides off anyway as I'm thinking about upgrading my Audigy SE for an Xonar DS and want to see if the SE is definitely a PCI-E, and also want to check which slots I have free as looking through my removable front grill panels it's hard to make out lol. For anyone with a Xonar DG I was thinking of that one too but I also love to listen to high quality music as well so I think that I would defiantly benefit from the 192KHz/24 bit rate of the DS.

Unless anyone else has any opinions on this also?

P.s. Just reading back through that, that's a check to see if the SE is a PCI-E, to be compatible with a DS which is similar to the DG XD

Acronyms galore. The last one was a face btw. :)

Tom_gr7 that's what I thought.
I can't remember if it was always like that with BF3 or not. I know it was definitely around 70 or more.
I have updated my bios to the latest version, so maybe that has something to do with it also?

Buzz

Master
After you updated your Bios did you check you Bios system performance?
Maybe it reverted to a default state and are at Quiet, and not cooling as it should.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Yeah I checked and it was set as normal.
I've just checked again and set everything as default.
So I'm now going to play BF3 for an hour for umm testing purposes then will report back to say if anything has changed.

P.s. Corfate I've heard with the Xonar DG, when you have your speakers plugged in, then plug in a pair of headphones, the audio automatically switches over to the headphones as it should, but when you unplug them, the audio doesn't automatically switch back to the speakers.
Have you had this problem?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Have you got a picture of the graphics card and sound card yet? you will probably need to move it

Or you could invest in some extra fans but wont make much difference if the graphics card fans cant pull in that air

tom_gr7

Life Serving
agree with wozza, is the soundcard right under the gpu? pics would be great if you could mate

I would, however, remove the soundcard and play bf3 an hour to test, use gpu_z and record a gpu temps both before and after removing the soundcard to determine if that is or isnt the cause of the higher temps.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Heres some pics.

From bottom
258v0iq.jpg

From top
2z6ceut.jpg

As you can see from the top image and to my surprise the soundcard is nowhere near the graphics card. I thought it was slotted in the PCI-E under it but it's actually in the bottom PCI.

I've not bothered removing the sound card as it so far away and nowhere near the fan I would be amazed if it had anything to do with it.

P.s. I've also dusted it down but tbh there wasn't that much in it, just a fine layer here and there.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
that sound card would have little/no effect on the cooling of the card.

Do you have any side fans blowing on the rig?

edit ya cpu cooler doesnt look straight though?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
No, I'm thinking about getting one.

Do you think that would help much, or do you think it's a GPU problem?
I'm probs getting a side fan regardless though.
Also do you think it should blow in or out?

Yeah thats always been like that I think. It seems like its attached solid.
I haven't moved it, so it would have been installed like that by PCS.
I'll check again when I install my sidefan.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ive tried it blowing in and blowing out and blowing in is much better, there was a 3/4'c difference on my graphics card at idle

Fear

Prolific Poster
The side fan should be an intake fan to blast the air straight to the GPU.

That CPU cooler yes it does look to be at a strange angle but if it is secure and is keeping the CPU cool then i can't see any problem with it (i am defo not an expert on that though)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Your case should have a side fan already, but due to the titan fenrir I think your large side fan may have been removed.

You could look at getting a smaller 120mm fan for the side panel.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
The Phantom White only comes with 2x120 side, 1x120 back, 1x200 top.
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

From what I can see it should be able to fit in without much of a problem.

Ill try blowing it in then ;p

So do you think there is a problem with my GPU, because tbh with the fans already installed and the space in the case, It would seem to me that it should be much cooler, maybe by 10-20c?
But bare in mind I am playing BF3 almost fully maxed out.

P.s. Thanks for all your replies :))