Is there a way to password protect folders?

bigben

Master Poster
Hi,
Basically, we recently took on a new employee at work and he keeps on looking at stuff that's none of his business.
Does anybody know a way to put a password on certain folders on the server? Or should we just make sure that any sensitive stuff just gets kept on personal machines.

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
I know where I work, different folder structures are limited to different groups of people, so on our main file server, one of the mapped network drives is the T drive - its the 'Systems' drive on the main file server - only members of the 'Systems' group have access to it - so I know it can be limited to certain users (rather than password protected).

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol, he doesn't sound like a very good employee...

Not sure what area of work you are in... but in my line of work that would be bye bye, struck off, see you later....

bigben

Master Poster
Not sure what area of work you are in... but in my line of work that would be bye bye, struck off, see you later....
lol our boss is a softy though. The only thing I've ever seen him fire someone for is stealing.

Rakk

The Awesome
lol, he doesn't sound like a very good employee...

I suppose there is also the other side of the argument though, if you don't want everyone to be able to see stuff then you make sure they can't get to it rather than just trusting that they've been told not to look at it and that they don't, if it's sensitive stuff then it should be locked down to whoever is supposed to be able to read it anyway.
And then if they break past the security then you can probably fire them a lot easier, whereas you may be on thin ice firing someone for looking at something that is there for anyone (within the company) to look at.