IT Jobs..

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I know I started this thread and I was interested in jobs.. but ermm.....

SOMEONE EXPLAIN PLEASE

The chocolate IS decreasing in size by one piece, but not noticeably. It's physically not possible any other way :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I love working with so many people that don't understand that joke. I've lost count the number of times someone either rings or I am in their office and I tell them to "turn it off and on again". I giggle inside and they sit there with a blank expression, until it fixes the problem and I am suddenly some kind of wizard :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I love working with so many people that don't understand that joke. I've lost count the number of times someone either rings or I am in their office and I tell them to "turn it off and on again". I giggle inside and they sit there with a blank expression, until it fixes the problem and I am suddenly some kind of wizard :D

I have a tee-shirt that says "Keep Calm and Reboot".

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
For a bit of balance I'm at the other end of the working life. I'm retired from over 30 years working with computers. I started with a 4-bit microprocessor with 256 bytes of RAM, since then I've worked with microcomputers, PCs, minicomputers, LANs, TCP/IP, distributed systems, and large IBM mainframes. I've been lucky to work on lots of stuff and I've watched the personal computer revolution as it happened. Exciting times....

dogbot

Bright Spark
For a bit of balance I'm at the other end of the working life.

..... and the years seem to go by with ever increasing rapidity. The 3 score years and 10 have long gone and I am now in overtime.

ubuysa, isn't it time for your annual sail on the med to pick up a few migrants?

BTW the last time I saw 'keep calm and reboot' was in a shoe shop.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I started with a 4-bit microprocessor with 256 bytes of RAM
is it true the human eye could only see the world as black and white back then too?

Mad how fast things change, my first computer had 256MB RAM... and I have no recollection of any computers being in existence with less than 64MB RAM. But in fairness I have no real recollection of computers without windows...

dogbot

Bright Spark
My first one (at work) had 16 Kilobytes of ram and was about 4 feet high. Even the later BBC Micro only had either 16 or 32 KB of ram.

Last edited:

Mordant

Silver Level Poster
My first home computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with 1KB ram.

I got the 16KB ram pack which suffered from "ram pack wobble" which would reset the computer if you weren't careful.

The thing I remember most about it was that it had standard and fast mode - in fast mode the display was blanked to speed up processing. So for graphically complex games like 3D Monster Maze the screen would blank when you pressed a movement key while it calculated the graphics and then flash back on after some seconds then wait for your next key press.

Can't fit an email in 1KB now :D

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Dogbot, please don't mention my boat and migrants in the same sentence, it's actually a very worrying subject for sailors in this part of the world. Some people I know saw a migrant boat south of Sicily and called the Italian coastguard to get them some assistance. They immediately began to chase my friends for giving away their position. A 40-foot sailboat only does 8 knots at best and it was nearly 3 hours later before the migrant boat gave up the chase.

In the days before PCs and standard OS's (like MSDOS and then Windows) every microcomputer has it's own OS burned into an EPROM on the mainboard. So in those days just getting two different computers to talk to each other was a challenge!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Dogbot, please don't mention my boat and migrants in the same sentence, it's actually a very worrying subject for sailors in this part of the world. Some people I know saw a migrant boat south of Sicily and called the Italian coastguard to get them some assistance. They immediately began to chase my friends for giving away their position. A 40-foot sailboat only does 8 knots at best and it was nearly 3 hours later before the migrant boat gave up the chase.

In the days before PCs and standard OS's (like MSDOS and then Windows) every microcomputer has it's own OS burned into an EPROM on the mainboard. So in those days just getting two different computers to talk to each other was a challenge!

That does sound somewhat similar to the plot of a recent Tom Hanks movie.