I've got a headache - help me choose please!

OK, so I've got a PC on it's way with the following:
  • Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core
  • GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti
I have two old Dell monitors so I am looking to get a new monitor which would be primarily for home work - documents, editing, slow stuff like that. But I also like gaming and I want something fast and responsive for Doom: Eternal, Red Dead ..., the usual.
With black friday upon us, I have been looking at monitors with a budget of up to £400.
I'm looking for the following spec:
  • Minimum 144hz
  • 2560x1440
  • Flat screen (can't work with a curved one)
  • Response time <= 1ms
  • Minimum 27"
  • G-SYNC compatible
I have looked at quite a few but there are so many choices that I've got into a rut, complete with a headache!
These are the ones I have considered, in alphabetical order (prices are from Amazon):
  • ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ @ £289
  • Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD IPS @ £299
  • Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q 27 Inch IPS QHD @ £299
  • Gigabyte M27Q @ £321
  • LG Electronics 27GN850 @ £299
  • LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B @ £400
  • LG UltraGear 27GN88A @ £289
  • MSI Optix G273QF Esports Gaming IPS @ £339
  • MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD @ £399
Would somebody please put me out of my misery and advise me which one to buy, preferably from personal experience.
Thanks muchly.

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Check out this thread from Martin that will help with this

Check out this thread from Martin that will help with this

Thanks. The M34WQ wasn't considered as it is about 50% over budget. I'm not sure I want a monitor that wide either. Looks great though.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks. The M34WQ wasn't considered as it is about 50% over budget. I'm not sure I want a monitor that wide either. Looks great though.
The M27Q is effectively the 'standard' ratio version of the M34WQ- That would fix both your budget and width constraints. It's had good reviews from Hardware Unboxed and probably the monitor I'd pick out of that lineup anyway. Either that or the Dell, I know the Dell panels tend to be pretty good!

DarTon

The M27Q is considered a great monitor and has dropped to £290 at Currys. You probably know this but just in case: the M27Q has a BGR sub-pixel layout, rather than the more typical RGB. On games this has no impact and, in most cases, only marginal impact on text. Nonetheless, for those apps without Cleartype support or if the monitor is used at non-native scaling then some impact can be sometimes observed. Of course, you can turn the monitor upside down to return it to a RGB layout!

I've been sorting of leaning towards the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD - it gets top reviews but with my old eyes and slow reactions, maybe it's too good!
I think it will come down to what is in my basket when I press Buy! That basket will chop and change a few times but I've got to commit to something!