Java headache

RickMorgan

Just taken delivery of my 4th computer from PCS and a beaut of a laptop it is too!
Problem on Java .... which version do I d/l for it, fed up of uninstalling/installing Java to be met with the dreaded message that I don't have the correct version, being directed to the java page which is as clear as mud.
Short spec here:

Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-2310M (2.10GHz) 3MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Thanks in anticipation guys

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If you are just using Java then you only need a JRE (Java Runtime Environment), however if you are developing using Java then you need the development kit referred to as the JDK (Java Development Kit).

There are several versions of java, as they have developed throught the years more has become availble in terms of libraries and optimizations have been implemented for several of the functions, hence having newer versions. Certain programs require the new functions which the newer versions of Java provide. All old Java programs should run on newer Java platforms, they just may run slower than optimum because they use depricated API's.

Anyway, here is a link to the JRE which is what you need, and this is the most up to date one

RickMorgan

Thanks for all replies. Tried all combinations of V6 but still probs., so, d/l the beta 7 version and it works perfectly. I've put it down to one of life's great mysteries.

RickMorgan

Quite a few progs including bbc video links, qvc, etc. Nothing worked until d/l beta 7 and all fine now. Thanks for asking Frenchy.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
thts really odd, they should all easily work with java 5, probably just needed a fresh install, I think 6 installs over 5 but 7 is fully clean i think

RickMorgan

thts really odd, they should all easily work with java 5, probably just needed a fresh install, I think 6 installs over 5 but 7 is fully clean i think

As I said, one of life's mysteries! 7 appears fully clean and functional ....... so far!!!