Just received Optimus II...

jdg199

and unforutunately have not had time to dedicate playing with the system too much due to various reasons.

However, a couple of quick questions/points:

I have the Optimus 17inch chassis and the one things that is infuriating about the keyboard is the fact that as I type the "heels" of my hands brush against the trackpad, making the cursor jump all over the screen! This ends up with my typing being inserted in other areas of a document/mail etc. Is there a way to remove the touch-to-click functionality of the trackpad?

Secondly, I have received the disk labelled drivers and manuals or something similar. When I put the disk in I have a list of drivers to install:
Chipset / VGA / nVIDIA VGA / LAN / Cardreader / Touchpad / Hotkey AP / USB 3.0 / MEI / Audio
After that, Option Drivers are listed as:
Webcam / WLAN / Fingerprint / Combo BT / 3G / THX TruStudio AP / IRST

My question is, do I just install ALL of these? Is there a reason NOT to install one or more of these?

Generally speaking, the laptop looks pretty impressive and as far as I can tell it has exactly what I paid for inside it! However, I haven't tested it in anyway so far. The only annoyance is that there is a rattly/vibrating sound when the fan is running which is a bit frustrating.

Teaz

Godlike
All of those should be installed on the laptop for you already along with the drivers and update if you bought it with an OS or windows 7 :)

As for the touchpad, i thought that was a common thing for laptops where peoples hands brush up onto it, but not sure on the touch to click function.

LinearHD

Rising Star
On the bottom right hand icon tray, expand it and there should be a touchpad driver utility (Mine's called Synaptics Pointing Device), right clicking or double clicking on that should give you the option to disable tap to click :)

Install all your drivers trust me you NEED them all even the optional! Without drivers some of your hardware and software will not work properly or at all like the sound card and wireless etc........ Its pretty self explanatory you can see that webcam and fingerprint are needed for example :)

EDIT: You only need to install them on a clean Operating System install if its pre installed you dont need to

Last edited:

Maestro

Ignore the last post. If you ordered an operating system then your laptop came fully installed with all relevant drivers.
However the driver disc does contain optional software that you may or may not want to install.

jdg199

right - so most of the Drivers are preinstalled so no dramas there.

The optional stuff included:
Webcam / WLAN / Fingerprint / Combo BT / 3G / THX TruStudio AP / RST

Obviously, this makes sense that it is optional since there is no fingerprint recognition used on this model. Does that mean that the other "optional" drivers should be installed if relevant (i'm guessing Webcam, WLAN, THX TruStudio are since they are all part of or "in" my build. Im not sure what Combo BT or RST are, while I do not believe that 3G is included in the build).

I thought there would be a touchpad utility but that does't seem to be the case. When I go to the mouse via the control panel there is no abilty to amend how the touchpad is used.

For the last year or so I have used a MacBook Pro which obviously feels a lot more sturdy and the touchpad is a lot more intuitive and useful. Granted, when spending £1k more you'd expect so!

Teaz

Godlike
yes the drivers are installed as Meds and myself have said so no drama. the optionals are are perhaps installed apart from the combo bt or rst since its optional after all and may never be of any use to you.

i think the combo bt is something for bluetooth but not sure what rst is.

yes the drivers are installed as Meds and myself have said so no drama. the optionals are are perhaps installed apart from the combo bt or rst since its optional after all and may never be of any use to you.

i think the combo bt is something for bluetooth but not sure what rst is.

I think you mean IRST which stands for intel Rapid Storage Technology. Description here http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020784.htm

Teaz

Godlike
woops mis-typo :)

I don't think he needs to install IRST then since its just for Raid configurations and his optimus only has 1 drive

Bitey

Right then, due to the lack of start up instructions that came with my new laptop, also an optimus II, I presumed that you did have to install all the drivers and did so, although I couldn't install the usb 3.0 driver due to repeated error messages and pressed on with the others further down the list. Will this have screwed anything up? at no point was it made clear either that I would or would not have to install drivers or when I did start installing them that I was installing something that was already there. Will I now have double copies of all these drivers on my system, if so how can i get rid of these copies.

Perhaps someone from PCS could give a walkthrough of what a new customer needs to do with their laptop upon receiving it to set everything up etc because nothing like that comes in the box and the digital manual isn't much help either...