Keyboard lag in skyrim

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Iv just installed a few mods. quality world maps, enhanced blood texture, enhanced night, skyrim HD 2k textures, skyui and W.A.T.E.R
I have also followed Nvidias tips (not the first one as i couldnt be bothered to download the third party program!).

Now seemingly just when i click 'wasd' but may be other keys aswell, there is a slight delay, half a second or so. The mouse seems unaffected.

Any ideas what the cause of the problem may be?

Edit.
also just noticed that every 5 seconds (timed at 5 seconds every time) the shadows 'shimmer' for 1 second or so, then it stops, and then starts agian 5 secs later.

second edit.
I have just noticed that the shimmering seems to be the shadows moving with the sun, all the shadows are moving further away with each shimmer.
Is this normal? didnt notice it before i started messing around with the files!

Have gtx 570, i5 3550, 8gb ram

Last edited:

NilSatis

Bright Spark
There are a lot of problems for people with lag during up and down movement of the mouse/controller which seem to have now been fixed through updates, but your problem is a new one and must be related to the mods or the load order/maybe a conflict.

Have you modified any of the ini files? If you have included the "fix" to turn off vsync in your ini I would take that out (iPresentInterval=0).

Then I would turn all antialiasing options off and leave them off, start the game like this, then go back through the launcher and stick them on again. During the updating process sometimes the improvements that are made change something to do with the aa etc and I found I had some similar lag initially on the keyboard until I did this. Not sure if this wasnt an unrelated problem with another bit of software running however.

Have you used BOSS to change the load order of those mods? If not, download that from the nexus, and then sort the load order. Sometimes helps with glitches. Have you added any other mods or edited anything else? Also if you have any other options forced on the gpu turn them off before starting the game. Check running processes in the background, make sure there is nothing interfering with the cpu when you are playing it. I have all of those mods or have had at one point and mine is running fine. I have not had that combination together however, and have found that beths hd textures are less of a performance hit than other texture packs.

Maybe the shadow problem is something to do with enhanced night. What are your shadow settings set on in the skyrim launcher? Try different ones; ultra is best but there is a performance hit--if everything else is working smoothly on your system you shouldnt even notice it on the latest patch. Make sure you have played around with that to see if the problem changes.

If you are looking for possible alternatives to that, realistic lighting is the best mod I have found for changing the night/light cycles and adding atmos in dungeons etc; just be sure to use the setting that is right for you or get used to using torches a whole lot. It makes the lighting more realistic without the use of screen shader injections or other post-processing. This means there will be no performance decrease at all, and all weather and locations have unique light settings!

I use a 6950 2gb and it all runs great on the latest drivers; but pretty sure for some people on older drivers it doesnt. Make sure your drivers are all up to date. Finally if you have checked everything elsed Double check you have the latest versions of direct x 9 and all the usual suspects. Apart from those things, I cant see what can be wrong. Firstly it is best for you to try and uninstall the mods, see if it is back to normal, then add them one by one and test. Takes a while but you can be sure of which mod doesnt like your setup. Make sure to use BOSS if adding manually to data folder, and if not adding manually there is still no harm in using it. Good luck.
Every other game work ok?

Last edited:

Fear

Prolific Poster
As nilsatis has put above possibly to do with the load order so looking at the mods you have i would make sure enhanced night is one of the last ones and put W.A.T.E.R as your last mod, oh just to make sure you have disabled the bethesda HD pack have'nt you and you can still get that to work with other mods by changing the .ini files.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok so i got angry and uninstalled skyrim fully, removing all mods ofc.

Re-installed and still had the same problems, shadows shimmering - which like i said is basicly the shadows moving to equal the suns movement - and the keyboard lag (again only seems to affect 'wasd' and isnt that much of a deal as iv just played for 30mins with all the mods added again (but none of the changes suggested by nvidia) without really noticing it but would be nice to be fixed!

I will look into BOSS and get back to you on that one.

Fear

Prolific Poster
The shadows thing you are on about i have and i am fairly sure that they have always been like that.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Not to me it doesnt; or nothing that looks out of place. I did get a similar effect running a particular mod that was supposed to improve fps;it did give fps increases but I got flickering shadows that seemed to move around. This was a few patches ago and now according to the tools i run it seems to run at roughly 60fps most of the time. Have you tried disabling shadows; trying it and then putting them back on again? It sounds a bit like a driver problem to me. The fact that the game is stuttering aswell is a bit strange though; but again could be a gpu driver problem. Have you tried on a clean save....i.e start the game with no mods installed and start a new game? Saved games could be buggered due to whatever has caused the problem.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think ive found the solution to this, Im guessing you have 300+ drivers? If not then this is not the cure

Go onto nvidia control panel and along the left hand side 'Manage 3D settings'

Then on 'maximum pre-rendered frames' put this to 0 and apply this setting

Now try to run the game