Laptop cooler

Lybster

I bought my Optimus 17" for business use, and I do a bit of programming (Delphi in case anyone's interested) as a hobby. This means that I often have the laptop on my lap :yes:

Previous laptops have nicely fitted onto a standard beanie tray but with its wide screen the Optimus doesn't fit. I could buy a bigger tray but at nearly £45 from Amazon I thought I might as well have a look at the coolers.

Can anyone recommend one that the Optimus will fit on and can be used on a lap and be comfortable?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You're not going to like me saying this but your lap is about the worst place you can put a laptop. Not only does your lap tend to block the critical air vents but your body heat warms the air the laptop is sucking in and that also reduces the cooling effect. If you're male and young the heat generated by a laptop on your lap is know to be harmful to your testicles, they don't like a lot of heat. So if you plan of becoming a father in the future I'd stop using the laptop on your lap. :)

A laptop on a cooler on your lap is a better option, but you'd need to make sure that the air vents on the cooler are not obstructed by your legs or the chair on which you're sitting. A laptop on a cooler on a tray is probably better still but a desk is the bst option, not only for the laptop but also for you. :)

Lybster

ubuysa I have no objection to most people saying most things. However, I think you missed a few hints. The laptop is on a desk for business use. Its on my lap when I'm indulging in my hobby, and I don't particularly want to sit at my desk for that, especially as I often watch TV at the same time, and may even stop programming if what the TV shows is actually worth watching (not often the case I know). The fact that I refer to previous laptops being on a beanie tray should have suggested that I know about blocking the vents etc. A fact I didn't post was that I'm 62 so I doubt I'll be worrying about fathering children.

Rather than generic comments I was hoping for some specific recommendation. Do you have one?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I bought the Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, up to 17.3 inch from PCS-£25 inc. VAT.
I find it comfortable and it does the job.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ubuysa I have no objection to most people saying most things. However, I think you missed a few hints. The laptop is on a desk for business use. Its on my lap when I'm indulging in my hobby, and I don't particularly want to sit at my desk for that, especially as I often watch TV at the same time, and may even stop programming if what the TV shows is actually worth watching (not often the case I know). The fact that I refer to previous laptops being on a beanie tray should have suggested that I know about blocking the vents etc. A fact I didn't post was that I'm 62 so I doubt I'll be worrying about fathering children.

Rather than generic comments I was hoping for some specific recommendation. Do you have one?

Excuse me for trying to be helpful. I'm not a mind-reader and if you'd said all that in your OP you might have got a different answer.

Have a good day.

Lybster

I bought the Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, up to 17.3 inch from PCS-£25 inc. VAT.
I find it comfortable and it does the job.

I've had a look at pictures of it. Looks interesting and gets good reviews on Amazon. Just to confirm, you are using this on your lap, its comfortable there and clothes (or flesh) don't get in the way of the fan?