Laptop is currently snowballing badly

kevbazz

For the past few weeks my laptop has been crashing while playing CSGO, it would crash the game then leave my gfx card saying it was not installed until I restarted/shut down my laptop several times before it recognised it was there.

I uninstall and reinstalled both the gfx drivers, the game, along with other things like geforce experience to see if it worked without, but it still keeps happening. Sometimes I get a blue screen and it gives me a qr code but I wasn't quick enough to get it on the times its shown.

Tried contacting customer support but got no reply.

Then as of yesterday I got hit with a "start pxe over ipv6" error, and today my laptop wont even load up close enough to a bios menu. I'm currently stuck in a black screen to "diagnosing your pc"/"automatically repairing" loop kinda thing. Not entirely sure where to go from here but help would be appreciated.

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryRecoil II Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK QUIET MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Laptop Cooling StandsCoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Remove the M.2 drive and reseat it fully. We've had a few people report all sorts of problems due to a badly seated M.2 drive.

Try booting the Windows install media and selecting Repair My Computer. In there select Startup Repair. That may be able to get you going.

If that doesn't work, and whilst you have the install media running, run the memory test - it's not the best in the world but it will be useful to see whether it finds anything.

And still with the install media running, navigate to a command prompt and run a chkdsk /f on your SSD.

kevbazz

Remove the M.2 drive and reseat it fully. We've had a few people report all sorts of problems due to a badly seated M.2 drive.

Try booting the Windows install media and selecting Repair My Computer. In there select Startup Repair. That may be able to get you going.

If that doesn't work, and whilst you have the install media running, run the memory test - it's not the best in the world but it will be useful to see whether it finds anything.

And still with the install media running, navigate to a command prompt and run a chkdsk /f on your SSD.
Removed the m2.drive and fully cleaned out the interior. Still getting 10 minutes of the PCS logo on initial boot up and nothing else. Can't even access the bios.

kevbazz

Currently running a disk check on the /d drive and getting these results... I assume this isn't a good sign;

"File record (xxxx) is unreadable."
I've currently got over 20 of these.

Chkdsk /f result was "windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Currently running a disk check on the /d drive and getting these results... I assume this isn't a good sign;

"File record (xxxx) is unreadable."
I've currently got over 20 of these.

Chkdsk /f result was "windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"
You have to do a chkdsk on an elevated command and turn off folder protection in security settings.

You want to run a chkdsk /r also if it’s an HDD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I cant get to security settings because this laptop wont load up. I'm stuck in a cycle of failed auto repairing.
Oh, in that case yeah, my point isn’t valid.

That’s not good news then on the drive, there’s something funny going on there. Do you have anything you need to keep? I would suggest adding it as a secondary drive to another system and then copying off any data just to be safe.

Then format it and do a chkdsk /r on it again.

kevbazz

Oh, in that case yeah, my point isn’t valid.

That’s not good news then on the drive, there’s something funny going on there. Do you have anything you need to keep? I would suggest adding it as a secondary drive to another system and then copying off any data just to be safe.

Then format it and do a chkdsk /r on it again.
I'll happily reformat it if I can, there's nothing particularly important on it that I can't get again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I go via the troubleshoot option, which asks.to restart it and goes straight into the bios. Only way I can since the laptop wont boot normally.
In that case, try booting from a windows image, has startup repair option from the windows disc. Try that.

kevbazz

In that case, try booting from a windows image, has startup repair option from the windows disc. Try that.
Tried that already, can't get a windows image. Only the options I get are:
Continue.
Use a device.
Troubleshoot.
Turn off.

Besides this menu I either get the PCS logo for 10mins and/or black screen for 10mins followed by automatic repair.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even tried reset this pc, knowing I'd lose apps. Didn't work. Failed and back to square one.
That’s not booting from a windows image, the windows installation is corrupt, you can’t do anything from it, you have to boot from a windows disc and try a repair.

kevbazz

That’s not booting from a windows image, the windows installation is corrupt, you can’t do anything from it, you have to boot from a windows disc and try a repair.
In that case I don't have a disk or cdrom, windows came preloaded on the laptop.

kevbazz