Laptop Question

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
Going to take delivery of my engima III 540 in the next few days.

I want to ask, Are you supposed to use it until the battery is dead the first time, then leave it to charge? Or not touch it and wait till it to fully charge?

MrShteeeve

Charge it straight away out of the box until fully charged, and then run it down until either fully depleted or single figure %'s (better fully deplete for battery's lifecycle). And continue to do so and your battery will last a lot longer than if you always keep it plugged in! (I'm pretty sure you can run direct off mains without a battery for long sessions at home, although would like someone from pcs to verify). Bottom line though, do NOT always leave it plugged in else before you know it you'll be shelling out another £80 for a new battery! :).

Edit: What Flucky said too ;)

Last edited:

Fear

Prolific Poster
Charge it straight away out of the box until fully charged, and then run it down until either fully depleted or single figure %'s (better fully deplete for battery's lifecycle). And continue to do so and your battery will last a lot longer than if you always keep it plugged in! (I'm pretty sure you can run direct off mains without a battery for long sessions at home, although would like someone from pcs to verify). Bottom line though, do NOT always leave it plugged in else before you know it you'll be shelling out another £80 for a new battery! :).

Edit: What Flucky said too ;)

Thats pretty much what i did with my old HP laptop and it's still on the original battery after 4 and a half years but i mainly use it on mains now so as has been said leave the battery out if your running mains and i don't really know if it's a good idea to run until it dies but i disabled the warnings and auto shut down on mine for the first time to run the battery out completely but the warning in doing this obviously when you boot up it's going to give the did not shut down properly message TBH your probably best just running till it gives you the warning of low battery.

MrShteeeve

(arrow upwards) Agreed, not necessary to run completely flat, just use what I said as a guideline. I had a HP pavilion Dv9702 and after the battery went I just ran off mains and it worked fine (ran a lot cooler too). Hope these explanations helped out a bit :).

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
Mobile phones have a lot to answer for re. how to charge laptop batteries.

Just plug it in until it's fully charged (feel free to use it at same time), let it run down then use as you wish.

J