Laptop won't boot after hibernation

aedowin

Right, having serious troubles with my laptop. A lot of the time, I'll leave my laptop unplugged for the night, let the battery run down and go into hibernation mode. However, lately (within the last couple months or so, maybe more, I haven't been counting), whenever I wake my computer up from hibernation, it's REALLY laggy and usually just freezes up whenever I try to run anything.

When I go to restart my computer, it won't boot and just stays on the "loading" screen, with the green bar across the bottom. I then have to force shut down, go to "startup repair" and system restore my laptop. It'll work fine, then it'll start acting up again a few days later. I think it might be something to do with an update, seeing as if I try and restore to the point created just before the update it says the data is corrupt, and it usually happens just after my computer installs new updates. However, I don't know which update it is.

There is the obvious answer of installing each update separately, setting my laptop to hibernate, restarting and seeing which one screws my computer up, but before I started that up, I thought I might ask you guys if you've got any ideas on what might be causing it.

It's a Sony VAIO FW31M, running Vista. Any help would be, as always, much appreciated.

It sounds like Windows Update may be pushing a new driver or something on to the system.

I found I got problems like this when the ACPI drivers for the motherboard received an update, this was back in the days of XP however.

Try searching for the motherboard model on the internet, go to the manufacturer's website and see if there are any BIOS updates available before you start anything else.

Pro tip: Try not to let it go to sleep while it's updating, unless you have a dual BIOS board, you may brick it.

aedowin

Right, after a bit of rooting around, I can confirm that there haven't been any BIOS updates since 2009. I'm running the first and only update.

aedowin

Also, I've had a look at the list of updates it's trying to install. It's giving me Office compatibility files for Vista Service Pack 3, which is odd seeing as I'm runing SP2. Heck, I didn't even know there WAS an SP3, and by the looks of it neither does Microsoft.

Last edited: