Laptop

JSG10

Expert
Afternoon guys, been a long time!
My PCS PC is still going strong :) Although now due to very limited space I barely use it as I've left it at my parents, so I'm thinking now might be time to purchase a PCS Laptop :D
I'm looking at both the Vortex IV and the Optimus V. I want the backlit KB! lol

Usage will be pretty standard, usually internet type activity, some Office work, Blu rays and of course gaming, my internet is currently awful so will be a lot of lonely gaming lol

Anyway, two very similar specs, just different chassis and GPU, Vortex IV won't let me put a cheaper one in lol

I've looked at some reviews, I think I prefer the Vortex chassis but everything else spec wise is the same really so is it worth the extra money?

Spec 1:
Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
mSATA SSD Drive
60GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

£1,191.00

Spec 2:
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
mSATA SSD Drive
60GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Keyboard Language
BACKLIT OPTIMUS UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour (£5)

£951.00

JSG10

Expert
Pretty much what I've posted lol maybe up to £1200 at a push but would rather it a little lower.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The r9-m290x with the vortex IV. You could drop the SSD cache to afford it, I am assuming the main use is gaming.

JSG10

Expert
Disappointed with the lack of response. Not the PCS forum I remember. Shame. I'll figure it out myself.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I replied :) I don't think I can't sag further, not sure why you prefer nvidia. For your budget the AMD gpu offers better value for money, it seems to be cheaper than the gtx 770m and better. Not sure why it is only available on the 17.3" only.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hi JSG10,how's it going.
I did have a look at your question earlier and did some digging but couldn't come to a definite conclusion,hence I didn't answer ,apparently the GTX 770M is around 20% faster and will give 15 to 20 FPS more on some games according to one source,but whether that's worth another £240 is debatable.
This site doesn't seem to think so.
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770M-vs-GeForce-GTX-765M
Hope that helps somewhat :)

Last edited:

PLAYDODGY

Bronze Level Poster
OK main thing no more than 8 gig needed FACT , get the best cpu and gpu you can afford, all else can be uprgraded as and when needed,.
OK the sticky topic NVidia or amd, if you want to play cod at 100fp say( for arguments sake) , both card will do this without any effort at all. ???? so pick the cheapest don't be a fan boy, if amd does it and is £30 cheaper say, why spend the extra £30 for the NVidia one?????n stupid if you ask me , could be put to a better or larger ssd?
Get what you need not what you want( my opinion if money affords it get the omega ii, very very upgradeable in the futer, will last you a lot longer ):yes:

JSG10

Expert
It's just personal preference with the whole Nvidia v AMD thing, I don't want to start that whole debate up! Just my choice, I had a bad experience with a AMD card once and put me off, never had an issue with a Nvidia one

The Omega ii. While pretty epic and will last a lot longer, is £700 more. So I'll pass on that, it's also well above my requirements, to be honest, the Vortex IV is probably more than I need right now but it'll do me for a few years that way and also, I just like the look of it more :)

Gone for the 15.6 rather than 17.3 so it's more portable, I imagine the R9 is a bigger card and won't fit in the 15.6 chassis?

Thank you for the replies guys