Long Pre-Production time?

steaky360

My order is now on 15th working day and still in pre-production should I give them a call?

"Should you" no, but you might want to so you get an update. Its very likely they are just busy and your order is in a queue. But it is also possible that some component is out of stock and that's what is causing the hold up.

Edit: Too slow at typing :)

Solarwind

Ok was not very suprised after seeing outher peoples posts but 3 weeks after ordering would be nice to have some kind of update to let me know what is going on.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
If PCS are watching...

It would be good customer service every 5 working days to just drop an email saying not just the delay but the reason, generally people are much more reasonable about something when they know the reason why, rather than just a big unknown, thats when speculation runs rife, and that's generally not good.

I'm currently on pre production day 10 and no idea why, maybe somethings out of stock, maybe something else. Point is I don't know, I'd feel happier if I did though.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If PCS are watching...

It would be good customer service every 5 working days to just drop an email saying not just the delay but the reason, generally people are much more reasonable about something when they know the reason why, rather than just a big unknown, thats when speculation runs rife, and that's generally not good.

I'm currently on pre production day 10 and no idea why, maybe somethings out of stock, maybe something else. Point is I don't know, I'd feel happier if I did though.

I would be a good idea but don't you think it could be time consuming? I am sure they handle 100s of orders, giving personalised emails for every single order could just increase their workload.

drv

For what it's worth, my order (Optimus V) was in preproduction for 13 working days, and when I called them yesterday, they informed me that it was because the had run out of Bluray drives. Since I'm not going to be using the bluray drive in any case, I just asked them to change it to a DVD drive. They changed it yesterday and today it's in build.

I suppose each person's reason for a delay would be different, so it would be difficult to update everyone's information. But they have been most helpful on the phone.

But I do understand what you're saying. Wating for the laptop has been absolute hell :)

daveeb

Enthusiast
I would be a good idea but don't you think it could be time consuming? I am sure they handle 100s of orders, giving personalised emails for every single order could just increase their workload.

Must admit i have to agree with techguyone on this point. I don't think giving a personalised "state of play" e-mail once a week, to customers who have invested a lot of money, is asking too much, and if this is too much of a burden on the current work force then maybe a few more staff might be in order. I think it would be really good CS and as tgo pointed out people are a lot more patient and accommodating when they know why a delay exists.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Must admit i have to agree with techguyone on this point. I don't think giving a personalised "state of play" e-mail once a week, to customers who have invested a lot of money, is asking too much, and if this is too much of a burden on the current work force then maybe a few more staff might be in order. I think it would be really good CS and as tgo pointed out people are a lot more patient and accommodating when they know why a delay exists.

People are inpatient that is their nature. 13+ days in pre production is nothing. Pre production is the longest part of the chain. In fact a lot of people who quote they have been waiting 13 days have not in fact as they are still counting weekends. The production days are Monday-Friday.

But if you want to get to the technical s and specifics. Every single person who has ordered a PC or Laptop or any custom build from PCS also agreed to the terms and conditions, the terms state quiet clearly that a custom build can take up to 30 working days to deliver. Granted this is not always the case and in fact it has been mentioned a number of times what the percentage is that exceed 30 working days or under 21 working days. But at the end of the day PCS have not failed to provide the service agreed upon so asking them to employ extra staff increase costs just to email customers every week with updates that are not neccessary is not a great business model.

But if everyone wants to pay more for their custom builds I am sure PCS will be more than happy to use the increased profit margin on more staff. Every company is the same, where I work we could do with another person in my department when it is busy. But when it is not busy it is wasted expenditure having them around.

steaky360

I have to say, I disagree with 'state of play' emails just to inform people about the weekly progress (or lack of perhaps) their order has taken. I have never experienced anything remotely approaching that level of updates with any purchase I have made. Regardless of cost. Now that's not to say I wasn't in touch with PCS a few times when my rig was in pre-production/building etc. but I got in touch with them and didn't feel like I was being left in the lurch or anything. I was aware it could take a while.

Maybe I'm in the minority and most folk think that this is worth spending cash on, I for one would rather know less and get a cheaper PC. If you want your rig fast, pay for fast track. 5 days fast track is £39, meaning they'll guarantee your system is built and dispatched within 5 working days. What more could you ask for. It'll probably cost more than that to get updates.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have to say, I disagree with 'state of play' emails just to inform people about the weekly progress (or lack of perhaps) their order has taken. I have never experienced anything remotely approaching that level of updates with any purchase I have made. Regardless of cost. Now that's not to say I wasn't in touch with PCS a few times when my rig was in pre-production/building etc. but I got in touch with them and didn't feel like I was being left in the lurch or anything. I was aware it could take a while.

Maybe I'm in the minority and most folk think that this is worth spending cash on, I for one would rather know less and get a cheaper PC. If you want your rig fast, pay for fast track. 5 days fast track is £39, meaning they'll guarantee your system is built and dispatched within 5 working days. What more could you ask for. It'll probably cost more than that to get updates.

+1

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
We do apologise for the extended delay our customers are experiencing with a desktop order. We are hiring more staff and working overtime to try to bring the actual lead time down.

daveeb

Enthusiast

Thinking about this a little more I suppose my idea of a "state of play" e-mail is a system that lets the customer know when there is a problem with e.g. availability of components or a software/hardware issue that is going to result in a later dispatch date than if everything had progressed normally. This then would result in only a small percentage of customers needing to be contacted at any time. If the delay is due only to sheer volume of orders then fair enough.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
Thinking about this a little more I suppose my idea of a "state of play" e-mail is a system that lets the customer know when there is a problem with e.g. availability of components or a software/hardware issue that is going to result in a later dispatch date than if everything had progressed normally. This then would result in only a small percentage of customers needing to be contacted at any time. If the delay is due only to sheer volume of orders then fair enough.

What they said +1

daveeb

Enthusiast
Well i think if PCS are so busy or working to such tight margins that they can't let the small percentage of affected customers know when there is going to be a predictable delay to their order due to a specific component of their order being out of stock then I think there's a problem. I'm also a little surprised so many on here are happy to endorse the practice.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Well i think if PCS are so busy or working to such tight margins that they can't let the small percentage of affected customers know when there is going to be a predictable delay to their order due to a specific component of their order being out of stock then I think there's a problem. I'm also a little surprised so many on here are happy to endorse the practice.

I don think anyone is endorsing the practice. It would be ideal to have more information regarding delays but not practical. Considering it is a customised build and they have up to 30 working days to deliver it you could just choose fast track if you require your order soon. I just think trying to provide more info will incur more cost and we are going to end up paying more, that's just my opinion

daveeb

Enthusiast
I don think anyone is endorsing the practice. It would be ideal to have more information regarding delays but not practical. Considering it is a customised build and they have up to 30 working days to deliver it you could just choose fast track if you require your order soon. I just think trying to provide more info will incur more cost and we are going to end up paying more, that's just my opinion

Hi Keynes I do see your point. I just know from a personal perspective i'd be mightily annoyed if I rang to check progress after say 15 working days to discover that they had just run out of blu-ray drives for the next fortnight and they hadn't informed me of the delay.

CSS

HDD? If the HDD was working hard then it could have been that your hearing. Is it a caviar black b any chance? Even if its not then I would still put my money on the HDD, open up the side panel and have a look just to double check all the wires are clear or fall the fans.

Possibly just a fan breaking itself in so to speak,it's not all that uncommon on new machines,I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists.

Just an update to say the PC is working fine 3 years later. Guess it was just the HDD working hard and fan breaking itself in like a pair of new shoes like vanthus said, who I see has passed away since the last reply. RIP. :(

Thank you, PCS. I will order again soon.