Memory being used...

Laummatt

Hello,
Firstly I am not tech savvy at all and not great with computers. My kids gaming pc seems to be using a lot of memory when barely doing much at all. Looking at the Task Manager there are lots of Service Host entries. Is there a good way to clean up the pc? We run Norton Virus for gamers and that's all up to date and ok.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can you post the full spec from your orders page

Remove Norton using the official removal tool and just use the inbuilt windows defender, programs such as norton are resource hogs and are as bad as what they are trying to defeat

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Looking at the memory used is a pointless exercise. Windows is designed to make use of as much RAM as it possibly can, whilst still ensuring that RAM can be made available should a new process or thread need it. As long as the PC is not having problems you're fine.

If you post the full specs from your PCS order we can help more.

Laummatt

Case
LIAN LI LANCOOL 215 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Six Core CPU (3.5GHz-4.4GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6600 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR, 1625MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (3300 MB/R, 2900 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (1 x TYPE A, 1 x TYPE C) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
Microsoft® 365 Personal (12 Month Subscription - Digital Key)
Anti-Virus
Norton 360 inc. Game Optimizer - Free 90 Day License
Browser
Microsoft® Edge

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Firstly you need to fully uninstall Norton using the official uninstaller, it’s utter trash anyway but will hugely slow down the pc

But as @ubuysa says. Windows will use what RAM is in the system, the only time it’s a concern is if you see hard page faults as that means you’re exceeding what you have and writing to the page file on the disk

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hello,
Firstly I am not tech savvy at all and not great with computers. My kids gaming pc seems to be using a lot of memory when barely doing much at all. Looking at the Task Manager there are lots of Service Host entries. Is there a good way to clean up the pc? We run Norton Virus for gamers and that's all up to date and ok.
Could you please share a print screen of what lead you to think that the memory usage is high?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have no idea where that display comes from, you don't have 32GB of RAM installed, nor does your PC have either of those CPUs installed, so whatever that is it's nonsense.

On the PC and laptop open the Task Manager (either search for Task Manager or enter the command taskmgr). Click on the Performance tab and then click on the Memory icon on the left. Post a screenshot of that display when you are working both PC and laptop as hard as you can (because that's when you'll be using the most RAM). I will explain what the numbers on those displays mean as far as RAM is concerned - and how to tell when you don't have enough.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm still happy to explain your RAM usage if you'd like to upload those Task Manager screenshots....