Memory (RAM) Problems

Ash

I recently added an extra 2GB of RAM to my machine to take it to 6GB in total. When I bought my PC from here it came with 4GB (Samsung 4GB 1333MHz 2x2GB).

I originally wanted 8GB but couldn't afford it. Anyway, the RAM I added was this one. http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/pny-pc3-10660-ddr3-1333-dimm-ram-memory-module-2gb-07929926-pdt.html

The computer recognises the RAM and displays that I have 6GB.

However, since installing it (about 5 days ago), I've seen the BSOD 3 times. I assume this is related to the RAM as I've never seen it before on this PC. The first time it BSOD'ed, I loaded up the bios and set the clock for all the sticks of RAM to 1333MHz.

Also, I get the "Awww Snap something went wrong" screen on Google Chrome quite often now. The page loads fine as soon as I press reload but it's quite annoying. Firefox has crashed a few times as well since installing the RAM.

Is this a problem with the RAM? Is there anything I can do to stop these crashes?

Thank you. :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would take the new ram out to confirm or eliminate it as the problem.
Check your motherboard user guide for ram configurations,sometimes they dont like 3 sticks of ram or they need to be in particular slots,also cas latency and recommended voltage can be a factor.
It's always best to use the exact same ram modules.

Last edited:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
I'll never upgrade RAM any more without buying all of the RAM, for example if I already had 4 GB, I would buy 8GB and get rid of the 4GB in because from past experience RAM is very temperamental. I once upgraded my 4GB with another 4GB of RAM with the same make / model in one of my old builds a few years ago, it wouldn't work together and turns out the manufacturer had changed something in the model and it refused to work together.

Ash

I'll never upgrade RAM any more without buying all of the RAM, for example if I already had 4 GB, I would buy 8GB and get rid of the 4GB in because from past experience RAM is very temperamental. I once upgraded my 4GB with another 4GB of RAM with the same make / model in one of my old builds a few years ago, it wouldn't work together and turns out the manufacturer had changed something in the model and it refused to work together.

By not work together, do you mean wouldn't recognise the RAM at all or the computer crashed a lot?

Kalisnoir

Super Star
By not work together, do you mean wouldn't recognise the RAM at all or the computer crashed a lot?

Sorry, should of been more clear. The computer recognised the RAM but similar story to yours, it would just BSOD alot. It was back when I used to play World of Warcraft and it would randomly crash anywhere between start-up and 2 hours, I removed the RAM and everything was fine but unfortunately Ebuyer wouldn't refund me.