Microsoft Store Slow/Not Updating on new PC

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

I have just recxieved my new PC from PCSpecalist. Everything was going we until I tried to update Microsft Store.

It lists a lot of updates and tries to download them, but they never download/update. They just appear to be pending.

My Internet is fine as I am able to download/upload stuff, and I have a download speed of 50 Mbps.

My PC is et up the same as my other PC, which is not experincing the same issue. It is on the same network.

I have trawled the internet for fixes and have tried resetting MS Store, clearing it's cach, and even tried resintalling Winbdows. But nothing seems to work.

Has anybody any ideas why this is happening?

Normal Windows updates are downloading with no issues. It's just the MS Store that is incredibly slow/not downloading updates.

Many thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

I have just recxieved my new PC from PCSpecalist. Everything was going we until I tried to update Microsft Store.

It lists a lot of updates and tries to download them, but they never download/update. They just appear to be pending.

My Internet is fine as I am able to download/upload stuff, and I have a download speed of 50 Mbps.

My PC is et up the same as my other PC, which is not experincing the same issue. It is on the same network.

I have trawled the internet for fixes and have tried resetting MS Store, clearing it's cach, and even tried resintalling Winbdows. But nothing seems to work.

Has anybody any ideas why this is happening?

Normal Windows updates are downloading with no issues. It's just the MS Store that is incredibly slow/not downloading updates.

Many thanks.
It's a very common issue with the Microsoft store from an OOBE setup.

To be honest the quickest way around it is a clean install

Rakk

The Awesome
When you say you reinstalled Windows, was it with a full clean install (where the OS drive is completely cleared) or only a reset?

If it was only a reset then as Spyder says a full clean install is probably what's needed.

Edit: Nevermind I was obviously typing too slow, two replies came up as I finished typing

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
How do I perform a clean install on an oobe rather than a reset? Thank you.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Will I need a windows key or will it get it from wherever it’s stored?
It will either be stored in the BIOS of your machine or associated with your Windows login, when installing it may ask you for a key, just skip that part, it should find it later

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you. Something weird is happening. None of the extensions on my Google Chrome will open. Not sure if that’s connected to my windows store issue

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
I’m currently downloading the file to a usb. I’ll let you know how it all goes.

It’s frustrating as I received this PC at 0900 this morning. Six and one half hours later I haven’t been able to do much with it. Keeping my fingers crossed here. :D

Rakk

The Awesome
Unfortunately, the Windows OOBE can sometimes just break stuff (and its not testable since its a run once thing), least one thing though - since its new you're not losing anything from it with a clean install :)

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Unfortunately, the Windows OOBE can sometimes just break stuff (and its not testable since its a run once thing), least one thing though - since its new you're not losing anything from it with a clean install :)
Very true 🤣

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Whilst here, I may as well ask the following question as it’s related to the install I’m going to do when the flash drive has been created.

When choosing the drive for my install I seem to recall from some years ago that’s you get the option to format the drive prior to installation. Is this recommended as I don’t plan on keeping anything that’s currently on the drive.

Thank you

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Oh gosh. Now I have an issue. I’ve booted the PC up using the usb flash drive. It started the installation but now it can’t find a network. I have an Ethernet cable plugged in. But no connections are showing up, so I can’t proceed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh gosh. Now I have an issue. I’ve booted the PC up using the usb flash drive. It started the installation but now it can’t find a network. I have an Ethernet cable plugged in. But no connections are showing up, so I can’t proceed.
Disconnect the ethernet and try WiFi

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
Still nothing showing up. I wonder if I have messed up in the bios somewhere when changing the boot configuration to get the usb to boot first the installation.

I think I need to call PCS support.

Rakk

The Awesome
When I last re-installed mine (about a month or two ago) it couldn't find the network til it finished the installation (yes ethernet connected), you can complete the installation without it thinking there is a connection when it asks for a network

Pumpa Cat

Bronze Level Poster
The issue was that it gave me no options when stuck on that connections page. No continue, no go back, not even escape worked.

However, I’ve just come off the phone to PCS support. The guy there had to remote connect to my PC. He got me to reboot in some “secret” 🤣 admin mode. Oddly enough that immediately connected to the internet. He then remote connected to my PC and download some motherboard drivers.

So now my original USB flash drive install continued where we left off and it’s now finished installing. After all that, the original issue of MS Store seems to be resolved. It’s downloading apps etc quickly now.

So, many thanks to everybody here who tried to help. The advice of installing Windows out of the flash drive rather than oobe did work, albeit my having to overcome the issues with the connection.

The only issue I now have is that the PC is only seeing my main SSD drive. The second SSD drive is not showing up.