Monitor advice...

mattdanielc

Silver Level Poster
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying a FULL HD monitor from amazon which has a resolution of 1920x1080

I'm currently on a monitor with 1680x1050 (20" - 3 years old with 15 ms)

Will my GTX460 1GB be able to handle games like Crysis ok on 1920x1080 do you reckon? It plays it fine currently on my monitor - although I'm yet to try it with AA turned on (never had this on in any games before - is it worth it?)

I was looking here and here and it looks like my FPS will fall down a fair bit.

Is it worth getting a better / bigger monitor if my FPS falls down?

Cheers :)

Gorman

Author Level
Its a personal choice thing, i prefer higher res to post processing so i just play with the settings until im happy with the quality / performance mix.

If you watch blu - rays etc on the machine or do graphic work etc then sure the new monitor is worth it.

mattdanielc

Silver Level Poster
Nope I don't watch blu rays or graphic work.

It's purely for gaming and office type stuff.

What sort of difference will I notice for my games then do you reckon... it is 5ms instead of 15ms so that might be better? But will the games actually look better due to the higher res or actually worse coz of the fps falling down?

Tom DWC

I'd take a higher resolution over higher graphics settings and post processing. For the majority of games, except the few with insanely high system requirements, your card will be fine at this resolution.

Personally I hate too much post processing on 'real' video footage but for computer generated content you've gotta love it. Even so such bells and whistles are only worth it if the overall impact on the framerate isn't too high. The amount of people that run Crysis on "max settings" while recieving around 15fps is not good.

Upping the screen res should give you the most obvious improvement in terms of picture clarity.

Of course, turning on everything and still obtaining a consistent 60fps is always the most satisfying outcome.