Monitor for RTX 3090 system

ChristopherH

Can you good people advise me on what monitor to buy for this system please?

I dont understand Gsync and Freesync - can I use either or must it be gsync for nvidia cards?
what is Gsync compatible?

I cant have curved
it must be 27-30"
I assume I need display port?
my budget is up to £800 but the lower the better

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you good people advise me on what monitor to buy for this system please?

I dont understand Gsync and Freesync - can I use either or must it be gsync for nvidia cards?
what is Gsync compatible?

I cant have curved
it must be 27-30"
I assume I need display port?
my budget is up to £800 but the lower the better
What's the build for?

ChristopherH

Gaming really but also a bit of photo editing and possibly video editing as well as watching films. I also have a good VR system which the 3090 should run very well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Gaming really but also a bit of photo editing and possibly video editing as well as watching films. I also have a good VR system which the 3090 should run very well.
The budget is very low for a suitable gaming monitor, you're really be looking more like over £1000.

There is only one model I can think of and I have a feeling stocks have sold out all over the country:

The other option is a superwide, but they're all curved.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Why do you not want curved? And are you really limited to that size or is that more of a 'my wife will tell me off if I get one bigger' type thing?

ChristopherH

I cant have curved because it needs to sit on my small desk in my room and I sometimes lie on my bed watching tv and curved would make this difficult.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Why did you buy a 3090 for a small desk pc with a small monitor??

Generally, as a very loose rule of thumb, you wouldn't go far wrong by assuming you spend a similar amount on a monitor as you do gpu.

A 3080 or 3090 really needs a £1k+ big monitor (either Samsung G9 or 34" 4k 144hz) to be worth the expense.

ChristopherH

3090 is to drive the vr headset to max as it is 4k to the eye but also 4k monitor and for future proofing.

Can you interchange freesync and gsync?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
3090 is to drive the vr headset to max as it is 4k to the eye but also 4k monitor and for future proofing.

Can you interchange freesync and gsync?
Nvidia cards will work with both freesync and gsync screens.

AMD cards only work with Freesync screens

ChristopherH

Nvidia cards will work with both freesync and gsync screens.
are you absolutely sure about this as it means I can get a 4k freesync monitor to run my rtx 3090? But if I buy one and it doesnt work properly then I will be devastated.

Also what is adaptive sync?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
are you absolutely sure about this as it means I can get a 4k freesync monitor to run my rtx 3090? But if I buy one and it doesnt work properly then I will be devastated.

Also what is adaptive sync?
Adaptive sync is the umbrella term for gsync and freesync, they’re both trademarks for tech that achieves adaptive sync, also known as VRR or variable refresh rate.

Yes, I’m very sure about which cards work with which tech.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would strongly recommend getting some advice if you find a monitor, little concerned you may not be clear on what relates to a good pairing.

ChristopherH

little concerned you may not be clear on what relates to a good pairing.
Thank you very much for your help and support. I am now looking at 4k freesync monitors which to my relief are currently available as compared to gsync 4k monitors. Is this right based on what you said about pairing?

And just to be sure what should I watch out for to pair my 3090 with a monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you very much for your help and support. I am now looking at 4k freesync monitors which to my relief are currently available as compared to gsync 4k monitors. Is this right based on what you said about pairing?

And just to be sure what should I watch out for to pair my 3090 with a monitor?
As I said, there is only one 4k 144hz monitor that would fit your requirements, the rest are far more expensive.

I think you may be looking at 4k 60Hz monitors which would be a very poor pairing and would bottleneck the system, be a big waste of the GPU.

There are various considerations such as panel type, refresh rate, response time, resolution, size.

The main two are resolution and refresh rate.

ChristopherH

What do you think of this:

Because there are no 4k monitors with higher refresh rates available atm am I better off going for either a cheaper 4k 60hz screen or a chaeper 1440P high refresh rate monitor (and putting up with my experience not being as good as it could be) and then investing in a 4k high refresh rate monitor when this famine ends at some point in a few months/next year? I can always sell the one I buy now and offset the cost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Whats the diffrence between the normal .and the -B version ?
One is gsync the other is freesync I believe. But same monitor.

I got hung up on that one for a while too.

Because there are no 4k monitors with higher refresh rates available atm am I better off going for either a cheaper 4k 60hz screen or a chaeper 1440P high refresh rate monitor (and putting up with my experience not being as good as it could be) and then investing in a 4k high refresh rate monitor when this famine ends at some point in a few months/next year? I can always sell the one I buy now and offset the cost.
If it were me, I'd be looking at a superwide anyway, it's a far better experience than 4k in the first place. But either way, there is only one option at the budget you're suggesting.

I would personally just up the budget, then it opens up a load more doors.

ChristopherH

I dont have the space for superwide.

what about my comment about 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz as a stop gap? there is no availability of the monitor you proposed so I cant have one.

What budget would get me a 4k with decent refresh rate? And what would you suggest?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I dont have the space for superwide.

what about my comment about 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz as a stop gap? there is no availability of the monitor you proposed so I cant have one.

What budget would get me a 4k with decent refresh rate? And what would you suggest?
When you say you haven't got the room, what exactly do you mean? I always get confused with this as unless you're in a broom cupboard, I don't understand how that can be the case?

ChristopherH

I use either side of the monitor and my desk is small so the stand may inhibit me using the desk properly and just dont fancy the idea of superwide in my room (also I have vr for big screens). Also I imagine they are expensive. they are probably out of stock as well. But tbh I am ingnorant of them. Can you link one for me to look at please?

What about my comment about a stop gap?