My Big Budget Beast

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
I ordered this spec on Dec 23rd. Still waiting on it though as some of the parts are out of stock, it's killing me!!! What do you think?

Case CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T GAMING CASE ***NEW***
Overclocked CPU OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-980X (3.33GHz @ max 4.00GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE III EXTREME: 3-Way SLI & CrossFireX, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM) 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 TRI-DDR3 2000MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX580 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 600GB WD VELOCIRAPTOR® SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£88)
Power Supply CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU (£169)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)
Network Facilities ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£19)
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£143)

Went for the mobo and 1000w Power Supply as I will eventually get around to fitting a second GTX580, maybe a third if I sacrifice my TV card. I contemplated a i7 2600k but I will wait until they release something more powerful.

Freeley

Very nice - i've just ordered an i7-2600 based system and can't wait, will be plenty powerful enough for me i'm sure.

Sleinous

Author Level
Cant help noticing the lack of a 64mb cached caviar black hdd :(

Also, why the 2000mhz RAM? Even the bestest of overclocks (stable) dont fully utilise 2000mhz spec RAM :p

Very nice rig though.

I myself am waiting for my EVGA GTX 580 SuperClock to arrive too :D

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Thought 10,000rpm 32mb cache would be better than the 7,200rpm 64mb HDD??

Also, since the 2000mhz Ram is out of stock, I'm considering changing down to the 1600, but getting 12GB instead of 6GB.

Sleinous

Author Level
yes it is, my bad, I read that as the 1TB standard disc, not the veloci.

12GB RAM? Ouch. 6GB would have been more than ample. DDR3 is set to go down in price soon too.

Freeley

12GB RAM? Ouch. 6GB would have been more than ample. DDR3 is set to go down in price soon too.

Don't suppose you know how much difference in price there could be for 4GB Sleinous?
I've got 8GB on my order but if the difference is only 20 -30 quid or something then i'll probably leave it as it as.

DSN

Enthusiast
I would go with a 2600K build and that 10-15% MOARRR POWEERR !!

for the same price :D

And change the board to match the socket.

then your good to go !

Ohh and of course at least 1 SSD... 2x in raid ideally :p

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
I'm going to wait for SSD's to come down in price and reach 500GB before I get one!

So far, the 980x overclocked is still the fastest thing out there and it will be months before the gen 2 i7's will beat it.

I'm not sure about my RAM now. I'm not into RAM overclocking so 2000mhz might be wasted on me, but then again I've heard the 980x is quite demanding. Shall I stick with 2000mhz or get a 6 or 12GB 1600mhz instead?? Bearing in mind that money is no issue!

DSN

Enthusiast
So far, the 980x overclocked is still the fastest thing out there and it will be months before the gen 2 i7's will beat it.

FYI my 2600k beasts your CPU ! in all benchmaks. There is nothing they can do now that they wont be able to do in 2 months.

Not to mention its less than half the price. and the moeney you save coudl beast the rest of your spec up.

But hey just my opinion. do as you wish :D

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The i7-2600k doesn't beat the i7-980X in every benchmark but they perform very similiarly when overclocked to 4.4Ghz each so unless Auto CAD is something you'll be doing a lot then there's no reason to spend that much on an i7-980x when the i7-2600k will provide the same level of performance for a much cheaper price.

silkysean

Bronze Level Poster
Which is the best for gaming on max settings? I'm not bothered about the price difference, money is no object.

DSN

Enthusiast
It basically comes down to the 6 cores on the gaming front, Depending on the games you play, IF you game supports all 6 cores, then the 980X will give you a slight performance increase over the 980X, but not many do.

But you are basically paying twice the money for a little boost, which in the real world you would never notice.

You want the SR2 Motherboard, 2x 980X, with 4x 580's in SLI :D

if money really is no object, then the 980X is not such a bad choice.

But if it was really no object, just buy a 980X and a 2600k system and see what you prefer.

Money is always an object. If it really isnt. Give me 20 grand, and ill turn up at your house in 4 hours with both specs and 4 others fully water-cooled and benchmark them both for you.

You can then take your pick.

Pheonix, that's why I said " my 2600k " and not a 2600k at 4.4 Ghz :D

Last edited:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Hmm well I didn't know what speed yours was running at so I just commented on the two when they're running at the same clock speed.

Sleinous

Author Level
Epic typo from DSN :p
then the 980X will give you a slight performance increase over the 980X,
:p

Anyway, if money is no object, id seriously consider an SR-2 and 2x Xeon X5650's :p 48GB RAM anyone?

Despite money not being an issue here, there's a difference between splashing out for good reason and splashing out for little performance increase at all :p

I'd save the money, put it towards other parts of the PC or set it aside for your next build in half the length of time as you were originally intending to buy your next PC