My Mistress has arrived!

pez

Disclaimer: It's a long-un!

Well, finally, after an exceptionally long weekend, I am pleased to announce I have received my new mistress. And what a woman she is!

I'll start with the pics, and make a few comments at the end. I'm sure most of you are sick to death of me going on here about this. Then again, some of you may be in the same boat when you rarely get the chance to spend £1250 on a new laptop :D

Just a small precursor to the pics: PCS - What an exceptional service! Second to non!.

If Carlsberg made Custom PC's, they' sub contract to PCS :D

Righto, to the pictures:

1) Here's the HUGE box it turned up in. I wasn;t sure what to expect, but not something this big :D I was kinda hoping they accidently sent me a kick ass Desktop...lol

photo.jpg

2) This is AFTER I've taken a load of packaging out to get to the Laptop box. GREAT Packaging. I tested it - a slight shake - and it was solid!

photo1.jpg

3) This is me struggling to get the welcome pack box out. I ended up ripping it appart :D It was like Christmas!

photo2.jpg

4) This is the Laptop Box on my desk in the office :) - At this point, I was sweating a little with excitement. Several people from the office had circled behind me to go "oooooo" :)

photo3.jpg

5) The official unveiling :)

photo4.jpg

6) The first "Booting" of my new mistress

photo5.jpg

7) A Nice heads down picture of the keyboard

photo6.jpg

8) The official install of Win7 Ultimate 64bit - Suprised it took about 10 minutes. Thought it would be a little quicker :D

photo7.jpg

9) This is a picture of my incredibly expensive new gaming mouse from ebay getting used to her new partner - yes, it was £5.99 :D

photo8.jpg

10) The Final install....or so I thought ;) Jack will relate to this - more in the text below....

photo9.jpg

11) Her new home :)

photo10.jpg

So, hope you liked the pictures and it didn't take 10hrs to load up :D Now, onto the overall comments and feedback!

Overall, I have to say, it was the most excellent service, delivery and support I have ever received for anything! Period!. I'd spent the best part of 3 mths specing out this sweetheart, so like many, I was thoroughly excited, yet slightly nervous, when it came to ordering. No matter what anyone says, spending £1250 on a laptop is a nervous process. Especially when you are designing it almost custom to what you're exact requirements are.

I set up my official account, and saved the quote. I then asked the lady in our companies account department to kindly initiate the BACS payment. This was on Thursday 17th. She kindly told me that it would not be until the following wednesday until she initiated it and it would take 3 days to process. At 38yrs old, I nearly broke down in tears....but accepted I've waited this long, a few more days won't be to bad. Well, that was a LONG weekend, I'll tell you!.

So, finally, that wednesday morning she pulled me aside and told me that she'd actually do it Chaps for me, so the money would be instantly in the PCS bank account. I grinned like a 5yr old and said thank you. 5 minutes after she told me it had been sent, I messaged Sales Support to make sure it had been received and the clock was officially ticking. It had!

I then spent a fair amount of time constantly hastling Jack on Sales Support asking about this, about that, checking the spec, changing a couple of things briefly, changing back. I must have driven him up the frickin wall. For that Jack, I apologise! :D He told me that all was good, and it will shortly be going into pre-production. 5 minutes later, I get an email confirming this and I immediately logged into my account and started the ritual of pushing F5 on the status page. Anyone who has ordered, or is ordering, or is waiting, will know this horrible habit. The process had started, 2 hrs in and I had refreshed about 35 times :D

Now, this is where I was absolutely Gob Smacked. About 30 minutes later, I get an email from PCS. Pez, it said, your lap top is now in Build!. O-M-F-G. I annoyed Jack once again, and he said it had and was not a mistake....I was highly impressed. Getting excited, I let him be and decided I should probably do some work. So I did and at 6.30 went home, pleased with the day.

8.10am Thursday morning - BING! - I had a mail from PCS. This is where I then thought....right, what's up with the build - what's out of stock, etc. But NO! How wrong could I have been. My Mistress to be was being tested (I know, it sounds wrong in that context) and was being finalised. I couldn't believe it! I went to message Jack again to check, but there was no answer. Clearly he was sick of me by that point :D - I re-started the ritual of pushing F5 to see what the outcome would be for Thursday. At 5.30pm nothing. So I resigned myself to the fact that it would take the weekend :(

8.05am Friday morning - BING! - I had another mail. Nervously, I opened it. YOUR ORDER IS READY TO BE DISPATCHED! Amazing!. From order/payment to dispatch, a mighty 47.1hrs. This, no matter what anyone says, is highly impresive. Suddenly, a penny dropped in my head. NO! NO! NO! Don't Dispatch! I got on the phone immediately to Sales Support and spoke with Paul and said please please tell me it's not gone anywhere yet. It hadden't. Phew! There was no way in hell, I was letting my new baby sit in a warehouse over the weekend. All cold, wet, damp, and no doubt stoners messing around with various parcels that say "Fragile"! - As Patrick Swayze once said "Nobody puts Baby in a warehouse!".

With that resolved, we agreed to get it sent out on the monday, for delivery on the Tuesday, which was fine...and here we are. Tuesday evening, writing a bloody long winded heap of praise to some great guys and a superb company in Holmfirth.

To simply sum it all up: Excellent. 10/10 for everything.........bar one little thing.

Now, this is by no means a counter balance, but something I'm sure Jack has already rectified in the process. For some reason the Driver disc does not include any of the drivers for the Finger Print Scanner and the Wirelss Drivers for the 6300. Jack resolved this very quickly. I had to download them from work, which is no real biggie, but at 131meg and 192meg, they are not small files and took a while on our rubbish connection.

Great job guys, and credit goes to: Jack, Paul, Darrin & especially Carl. Thanks Lads!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Enjoyed the drama!

Something tells me in *cough* 3 weeks *cough* I wont be quite so dramatic!

Pleased that its everything you wanted it to be!

DED

pez

Cheers Lads :)

DED - Do not feer. I'm sure all will be well :D

Edit: Ok, it's been 2.5 hrs now since I've been using it properly....and my lord....she's sooooooooooooooo sexxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D

Last edited:

pez

I'm thinking Caroline - as in Sweet :)

But then again, Celeste springs to mind, and just sounds dirty :D

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I like that in picture 4, the box is upsidedown (or the label is...), although perhaps more worrying is the date is written on in pen the other way up!

Which way is up!? (theres some late night deep philosophy :D )

DED

Greenman

Enthusiast
Can I ask for some temps? I'm interested in a PCS laptop but would like to know operating temps idle and under load etc, if you can.
Great laptop by the way, looks nice. :D

pez

Happy to provide these....although I've never worried previously as I've built all my own machines. Let me know what software to install, and will run them :)

And Lads, thanks for the Rep :)

I'm erring on the side of Caroline as well ;)

and DED....you are right :D

photo3.jpg

The box is upside down and clearly it was when the date was written on. However, so well packaged, it didn't move in the slightest when rotated and pulled out :) (i.e. good, secure, foam packaging).

Last edited:

Nemesis

Yeh me too Celeste would be degrading :p

Careful though... this is what happened to the last person who named their PC/laptop :

[video=youtube;KhysYA4V6Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhysYA4V6Lw[/video]

Note the dry humping and the fact that his PS3 is called Caroline!

Greenman

Enthusiast
Happy to provide these....although I've never worried previously as I've built all my own machines. Let me know what software to install, and will run them :)

And Lads, thanks for the Rep :)

I'm erring on the side of Caroline as well ;)

and DED....you are right.

Cheers, do you have any source games?
I remember my core temp hitting 90C once when playing alien swarm. Normally it hits 75-85C when gaming (Source games with cooling pad) Interested in how the PCS laptops perform.