My PC can play Crysis on 'Very High' yet it can't play Borderlands?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Hi guys, I recently bought Borderlands from steam during the sale where it was £5 but when I tried to play it yesterday it was running at like 1fps. Honestly I couldn't even use the mouse it was so slow. I tried changing the settings but even on 800x600 it wouldn't play (I normally play games on 1920x1080). I have no idea what to try. I tried downloading some updated drivers for my 560ti but apparently they are already up to date.

On the Steam forum it seems a few other people are having similar problems, but they seem to suggest uninstalling all old graphics card drivers which doesn't help me as I have a brand new PC!

Any suggestions? :(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
could be a direct x issue, same thing happened with FSX, down to about 12 fps with DX 9 but as soon as i enabled DX 10 i get 145 fps lol.

Possibly try uninstalling DX and reinstalling. Just a guess though tbh

Pete

Bright Spark
sometimes there are GFX driver updates that fix problems for specific games... ? just a guess though

ops, just re-read your post where you said you tried that - my bad

uninstall - reinstall borderlands ?

Last edited:

Dayve

If your computer is playing Crysis at very high then this is obviously just a software issue somewhere. An incompatible graphics driver perhaps, something like that. Don't worry though, there's nothing wrong with your machine.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Yeah from what I can tell the PC version of Borderlands seems to have all kinds of random frame rate bugs. I can't seem to find a fix for it anywhere though. Seems kind of ridiculous. Really miffed though, the first purchase I make on steam and it's a complete dud!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yeah from what I can tell the PC version of Borderlands seems to have all kinds of random frame rate bugs. I can't seem to find a fix for it anywhere though. Seems kind of ridiculous. Really miffed though, the first purchase I make on steam and it's a complete dud!

If it refuses to play and you give up trying, steam generally will give you your money back.

Corfate

Author Level
I have the same problem regarding Borderlands..

Seems that it would play with a higher framerate, due to the graphics but it doesn't on mine..

Might be a FPS glitch like others have said.

I ended up lowering shadowing and some texture settings to make it playable.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I have the same problem regarding Borderlands..

Seems that it would play with a higher framerate, due to the graphics but it doesn't on mine..

Might be a FPS glitch like others have said.

I ended up lowering shadowing and some texture settings to make it playable.

When mine booted up everything was already on 'low' or 'off' and the frame rate issue was still there. I have emailed steam support asking for a refund. In addition Far Cry 2 also wont install. I am not having much success with steam!

Corfate

Author Level
When mine booted up everything was already on 'low' or 'off' and the frame rate issue was still there. I have emailed steam support asking for a refund. In addition Far Cry 2 also wont install. I am not having much success with steam!

Same, when mine first booted the graphics were shocking, but i realised that everything was on low or off. I put it to max, and it was unplayable.. I now play it on around medium with around 40FPS :l

Frenchy

Prolific Poster

If your having issues with multiple games then it may be a problem with your windows installation, or some program conflict etc, it seems unlikley to me that you would have problems with both the games you truied.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
If your having issues with multiple games then it may be a problem with your windows installation, or some program conflict etc, it seems unlikley to me that you would have problems with both the games you truied.

I just managed to get Far Cry 2 working, it was just an issue with punk buster software. It's just borderlands that's all screwy. It's quite a common problem judging by the steam message boards...crappy game >=(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
hmm ill try mine later, I bought the 4 pack lol, so it better damn work otherwise ive given my mates each a copy but wont have one myself lolol

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Thats so cruel lol.

What makes you think I can find a fix better than you?

It wouldn't be hard, my PC knowledge sucks.

I managed to fix it though, you have to disable the 3D features of your graphics card then the frame rate shoots back up to normal! No idea why this works but it does, just encase it happens to anyone else.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
It wouldn't be hard, my PC knowledge sucks.

I managed to fix it though, you have to disable the 3D features of your graphics card then the frame rate shoots back up to normal! No idea why this works but it does, just encase it happens to anyone else.

I dont have 3D screens so wont eb a problem for me :)

But thanks for the tip anyway.

Some games just arent supported for 3D, atleast not properly.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I dont have 3D screens so wont eb a problem for me :)

But thanks for the tip anyway.

Some games just arent supported for 3D, atleast not properly.

Mine isn't either but as the graphics card has 3D drivers they need to be uninstalled for it to run properly. No idea about the science behind it, it just worked lol. Regret sending the email to steam demanding my money back now though...oops.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Ah...never regret sending an email to Steam like that....it will be good practice for the next one you have to send ;)

There are a few useful little tools out there for borderlands, there is a config editor etc. and even some fixes to make the game harder; which is what i needed. They trick the game into thinking there are more than one person playing so works on single player. I loved the game but it is a little easy (played through it on the xbox and then got it on pc) however didnt have any problems running it at all; the settings were all set to lowest when i first ran it though lol, got a bit of a shock; but bumped it all up to highest and went into the .ini files and messed with a few things and it looks great. Follow the tweak thread and change everything you can think of to max. and it looks and plays nicely; now you have got it to play nicely with your card.

tweak thread

The difficulty editor was a little difficult to find but eventually found one in this thread:

difficulty modifier

If interested use the program he wrote in C# linked to in the first post of the thread. :) Enjoy....putting the difficulty up to three players in a one player game is interesting once your character has leveled up a bit!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Best tweak out of the lot is enabling vsync, god only knows why they didnt have the option ingame. Screen tearing was a real issue even on my rig.