Need help before i loose it!!!!

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Ok had to do a Refresh of Windows 8 as laptop would not boot up.

Seems lots of programs have disappeared and things not working, keyboard lighting, AMD cat centre, google chrome will not work, finger print software and god knows what else. The driver disc that came with the pc is being used as a coaster as it say it can not run with my OS!!!!!! no different to the Power DVD 10 disc that also does not work.

I am not sure what to do next, I tried to install from AMD site but is says no compatible hardware found.

Please help.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

I had to do the Windows 8 Refresh myself about a month ago, and the same happened to me. The refresh is designed to remove ALL installed programs that you have put on yourself but leave files and documents etc intact.

To get most of your drivers working again (keyboard lighting/hotkey and fingerprint software etc) go to http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download.asp and the Clevo Win 8 drivers should be available to download after you navigate to your laptop spec.

Unfortunately, for everything else, such as Google Chrome and everything else you use, you will need to reinstall from disc or online as necessary.

For things such as Steam etc, your game files will still be in place, however the actual Steam program will need to be reinstalled, but your games will all be ready to go once you have done this

It is time consuming and annoying, but the refresh solved the particular problem I had, so I didn't mind doing it

Good Luck :)

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Just waiting for the AMD driver to download from the website you advised, I am thinking it is the P170EM I have. The AMD shows up in device manager but has the yellow triangle sign. Tried to install the finger print software from the driver disc but it just hangs halfway.

I think my problem was from Iobit Advanced system care downloading a windows update as this is the last thing the laptop did.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I forgot to mention that it will also remove your anti virus/malware programs aswell (it removed Norton for me anyway), so I made sure that was back on first before downloading .exe files for other programs

Pagey

Bright Spark
I've personally never been a fan of doing refreshes, I'd prefer to just completely re-install the OS.

A lot of people don't like this as frankly it's a lot of buggering about.

I only realised a few days ago that Windows 7/8 has image software built in, so that kinda simplifies the process.

I've not done this yet, but when I next install it, I will do:

Install Windows 8 as usual and let Windows do it's updates and obviously install drivers, you don't want to install any other software just yet, that will come later.

Once the updates and drivers are installed, make an image of the drive. You can use that image everytime you want to re-install windows without having to go through the process of doing everything all over again.

You could then do another image once you've installed software you do use.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I never thought of taking an image of a clean up to date, functioning system before personalising it. I think I will take that advice in future if required.

What I did start doing after I refreshed the first time, was move the installation files of everything I use, along with the downloaded drivers onto a USB stick so they are all sat there waiting to go just in case.

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Used Windows Driver Cleaner and removed all references to Catalst Control Centre and installed the AMD drivers from Clevo site, all installed and the yellow triangle has gone from the device list.

Problem is nothing happens when trying to open both the Control Centre or Switchable graphics.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Sorry mate,

This is where my experience runs out. I've been a child of Nvidia since day one so don't have a clue about AMD.

Hope somebody else can point you in the right direction

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster