Need help! What do You think about this specs?

Scoobie

Hi everybody!:)

I thinking about new PC and I need Your help. I need it for graphic design, video editing, 3D rendering and some gaming (ARMA II)
What do You think about this specs? Are these components compatible?:confused:
I don`t want to spend more than 1500.

Case: CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T GAMING CASE (•139)
Processor: (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory: (RAM) 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card: 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card: 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5850 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
1nd Hard Disk: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
DVD Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (•100)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (•102)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (•16)
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing 1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD

Surge Protection Belkin 4 Socket 2M Surge Protector with •25,000 Protection! (Special Offer •6)

THX!:)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Looks good although I'd suggest putting the 2 western digital HDD's in RAID 0 so that they read/write faster, it's only like +£9.00.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

Great, well balanced specification there, but the cooling is a little overkill, you could get the standard Eco and save quite a bit.

Also, you could get away with a 750W PSU but there is not a huge difference in price between the two.

I would not recommend RAID 0 because you double your risk of data loss should you hard drive fail.

Meds

Hey, the specification looks great!

However, is there any particular reason you have selected two graphics cards? I would always recommend selecting the best single GPU you can afford when buying the PC, as you then have plenty of upgrade potential in the future. You should be able to get a 5870 for the price of two 5850s and then add a second 5870 in a couple of years to boost performance if it needs it?

Or.. you could even go with nVidia - GTX470 maybe? I know alot of members would back up the nVidia theory due to their physx.

Sleinous

Author Level
Or.. you could even go with nVidia - GTX470 maybe? I know alot of members would back up the nVidia theory due to their physx.

Yes i'd back that up, join the GTX 470 club! There aren't a whole lot of us out there. Usually people get the 460 or the 480 :( They miss out the beast that is the 470.

As for the 2x HDDs, best ones out there! Dont change a thing! :D

Scoobie

Thx Everybody!
I wasn`t sure about graphic cards. I think I will get one insted of two. It is really good idea. ThX Bright Spark!
One question about cooling. The one I choose is really to much?:confused: I don`t have plans to play overclocking with my PC but I`m little afraid about temperature :(
If in future I buy another graphic card (470) will this specs be enough? Motherbord, power supply?

Thx!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Even the default cooling option will keep your computer cool enough to prevent overheating.

The more advanced coolers are there as an option to keep your computer cooler than the default choice and quieter. Only if you want the best should you go for the Eco 240.